Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
climbing in moab.

I call this one, "Dont Fall Jess"

jess%202.jpg

nick%20goes%20for%20it.jpg

chris%20you%20a%20beast1.jpg

Nice layback shot in #1, and a good sense of the exposure since the climber is free soloing.

The other 2 don't really convey the same drama.

Looks like a day of bouldering?

The only time I climbed in the Moab area was about 1974. We were real radicals then and caused quit a stir because we climbed clean, without pitons, mostly using Chouinard Hexentrics, Stoppers, and a few 1" tubular nylon slings. It was the first place I ever used a #1 Chouinard Crack n' Up for protection.

@1 Can gravity permit such a stance? i doubted this to be a flat rock, and not steep

@2: thrill is not conveyed since he well supported on his feet

@3: Photographically this is excellent; what ever be the story below, what is seen conveys the challenge and strain

Regards (please don't think i am cynical about the first and second)

:D

1.) yes, gravity does permit such a stance. Its called a layback. (also rope is edited out...jess isnt that brave and it looks way sweeter without the rope)

2.) his feet are actually off the ground but looking at the picture, it is hard to see. I had to crop it it get the spotters out of the frame.

3.) Chris is a beast.

and in case you were wondering...
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZmMgjqmiAxY/TRYO-RPQqsI/AAAAAAAAA5Y/iLqXkzV40xA/s800/SGS_9249.jpg
first one is a panoramic of the climb jess was on before she started it.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ZmMgjqmiAxY/TRYO-aGNQtI/AAAAAAAAA5c/ETfcNSq_wDc/s576/SGS_9589.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZmMgjqmiAxY/TRYO-mvB6hI/AAAAAAAAA5g/4k6EXcyPfNI/s576/SGS_9622.jpg

same pics just different angles

Last edited:
I respect their efforts; even though i would love to see how she supports herself with a rope that way, since that affects awe feeling of the posted image, i am not requesting for that

Regards :D

On ascent, the rope is only used for protection, not direct support. To do otherwise would be a violation of climbing ethics unless there was some kind of an emergency.

Unless you have seen rock climbers do their thing, you have no idea what can be done.

Women have a better strength to weight ratio than men and thus have an advantage. In the video the climber is top roped, but you can see the rope is slack during his ascent, only offering protection in the case of a slip and to limit the length of a fall.
Top roping is considered a training aid and not pure climbing technique.

The pure method usually has the first climber stop and place rope anchors periodically. If the lead climber is above a rope anchor, and falls, they must fall at least twice the distance they are above the anchor before their fellow climber (belayer), holding the other end of the rope, can arrest their fall. As a practical matter, because of slack and stretch in the rope, leader falls are more than twice the distance to the last rope anchor point. So, if the leader is 15 feet above the last anchor, they will fall at least 30 feet before the belayer can arrest the fall.

The purest form of climbing, called free solo climbing, uses no ropes for protection, relying only on one's mind, experience, and skill for safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
KmH; thank you; even though on first reading i did not get the content, on a thoughtful perusal on the second time, i got the picture very clear; the link did not work now; may be i can check it later; thank you very much

Regards :D

Added later: Hey viewers, please don't miss the last link; i still could not believe that happened; what a lady she is; spider woman!!! a billion dollar climb indeed!!!

Thank you so much for these sights and insights; now i say anything can be done; even without defying gravity, man/woman can do wonders!!! a million hats off

Last edited:
haha, im glad this has become a tutorial on climbing :)

Im too young to have ever not climbed clean, I really cant imagine hammering in Pitons. Honestly if i come across a piton and I can get a cam in a crack near by, ill go with my cam every time

Someone that successfully combined climbing and photography was Galen Rowell, if you weren't already aware of him and his work.
He is greatly missed.

I like the first shot, this is one of my Grandfather in the 30's (sat down) he used to take me climbing but the bug didn't bite

23036618_vbUHQ-L.jpg

Check out the hobnail boots!

The Alps?

Yes, i believe he climb the Matterhorn and Eiger among many. It's a shame i didn't get into climbing because i live in one of the best places in the UK The Peak District
117349765_6tjdK-L.jpg

117596322_EZpJt-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back