What's new

Clone Stamp Issues

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
155
Reaction score
2
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried using the clone stamp on the pictures and the people who fixed them on the forum knew what they were doing - I don't. I use clone stamp and go over the image but it does absolutely nothing. What am I doing wrong? Quite frustrating. I do the alt plus click and nothing changes?
 
I tried using the clone stamp on the pictures and the people who fixed them on the forum knew what they were doing - I don't. I use clone stamp and go over the image but it does absolutely nothing. What am I doing wrong? Quite frustrating. I do the alt plus click and nothing changes?

Padre,

I don't remember the Windoze key strokes (I use a Mac). However, read the user manual or the help screens. It's a 2-step process. First, you identify where you want to clone FROM and then you identify where you want to clone TO.

These locations are not absolute, they're relative. STRICTLY AS AN EXAMPLE, the FROM could be a half-inch to the left of the TO. After you do the FROM/TO the first time, each time you move the TO location, the FROM also moves. In thie example, the FROM will always be a half-inch to the left of the TO unless you consciously redo the FROM location.

There is also a way for you to change the size of the clone and also whether the edge of the clone is hard or if it gradually decreases but let's leave that for later.

Gee, I hope that made sense.
 
I tried using the clone stamp on the pictures and the people who fixed them on the forum knew what they were doing - I don't. I use clone stamp and go over the image but it does absolutely nothing. What am I doing wrong? Quite frustrating. I do the alt plus click and nothing changes?

Padre,

I don't remember the Windoze key strokes (I use a Mac). However, read the user manual or the help screens. It's a 2-step process. First, you identify where you want to clone FROM and then you identify where you want to clone TO.

These locations are not absolute, they're relative. STRICTLY AS AN EXAMPLE, the FROM could be a half-inch to the left of the TO. After you do the FROM/TO the first time, each time you move the TO location, the FROM also moves.

There is also a way for you to change the size of the clone and also whether the edge of the clone is hard or if it gradually decreases but let's leave that for later.

Gee, I hope that made sense.

Hmm...well what I did was go over the are with "alt plus click" and then over there area again just clicking, and the results seemed better, but I'm still getting used to it.

What I did was click first on the sky in the normal color, with alt, then clicked over the dust particle, and that seemed to do the job. I'll get the hang of this yet!
 
I tried using the clone stamp on the pictures and the people who fixed them on the forum knew what they were doing - I don't. I use clone stamp and go over the image but it does absolutely nothing. What am I doing wrong? Quite frustrating. I do the alt plus click and nothing changes?

Padre,

I don't remember the Windoze key strokes (I use a Mac). However, read the user manual or the help screens. It's a 2-step process. First, you identify where you want to clone FROM and then you identify where you want to clone TO.

These locations are not absolute, they're relative. STRICTLY AS AN EXAMPLE, the FROM could be a half-inch to the left of the TO. After you do the FROM/TO the first time, each time you move the TO location, the FROM also moves.

There is also a way for you to change the size of the clone and also whether the edge of the clone is hard or if it gradually decreases but let's leave that for later.

Gee, I hope that made sense.

Hmm...well what I did was go over the are with "alt plus click" and then over there area again just clicking, and the results seemed better, but I'm still getting used to it.

What I did was click first on the sky in the normal color, with alt, then clicked over the dust particle, and that seemed to do the job. I'll get the hang of this yet!

Padre,

A good way to experiment is to purposely clone the sky to something completely different, perhaps someone's face, so that the result of the cloning is very obvious. DON'T ACCIDENTALLY SAVE THE RESULT! Better yet, use a junk photo.
 
for removing dust you are better using the healing brush
Same concept, Sample (alt) from a smooth or an area with similar texture
then click on the dust

But in this case, you dont have to keep re-sampling as it always jumps back to the initial sample area, however if you wish to, you can re sample
 
alt click only sets the area where you are cloning from... the normal clicks afterwards are whats pastes the new stuff...
 
Think of it this way:

"Alt-Click" is effectively "Copy" or "suck data from here"
"Click" or "Mouse-down, drag, and mouse-up" is effectively "Paste" or "spit the data back out here"

There is a small check box on the Clone Tool's toolbar labeled "Relative". If checked the position of the Alt-click copy location remains relative to the Click/paste location. When you make a second Click/paste without a new Alt-click copy/sampling the copy location simplys moves to maintain its position relative to the new Click location. If Relative is unchecked, the Alt-click/copy location remains fixed regardless of where subsequent Click/painting is done.
 
Also, check the Opacity, and Brush size. They could be turned down. If your Opacity is turned down take it up to 100%, and try a brush size that is at 100 and it should work.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom