Close up Lens a Good Option?. C&C please.

gpardo64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We all know macro lenses are expensive; there are some other options like extentions tubes and close up lens which are cheaper. I decided to try a close up lens (canon 500D).

Personally I like the result, what do you think?.

4393392740_cfe67dab10.jpg

Me too.

Noob question right there: What is the differenc between a makro- and a close up-lens?

Me too.

Noob question right there: What is the differenc between a makro- and a close up-lens?

A macro is a complete lens which includes all the necessary optic elements to magnify and mechanisms to focus.

A close up lens is like a simple filter which you attach it to your lens.

I have the 250D, and while I like it, I am looking into some extension tubes as well. I don't think the 250D gets me as close as I would like.

Nice pics though. ( If you want a 250D in brand new condition, I may throw it on ebay for like $50 ) 58mm thread.

I have the 250D, and while I like it, I am looking into some extension tubes as well. I don't think the 250D gets me as close as I would like.

Nice pics though. ( If you want a 250D in brand new condition, I may throw it on ebay for like $50 ) 58mm thread.

Thanks but my thread is 52 mm. You may want to post some pics when you get the tubes!.

...Personally I like the result, what do you think?

Very nice.

Closeup lenses, expecially the premium ones like the "D" versions from Canon, are excellent choices for "macro-wildlife/macro-landscape" work like this.

I like the photo as well. The lighting looks like the sun, and that is never easy, as the sun has it's own agenda.

DOF is alway interesting on macro shots too.
I wonder if with the shot you have, if it would be possible to keep the entire flower in focus?

I like the photo as well. The lighting looks like the sun, and that is never easy, as the sun has it's own agenda.

DOF is alway interesting on macro shots too.
I wonder if with the shot you have, if it would be possible to keep the entire flower in focus?

Thanks! Yes it was using sun light.

I am not sure but it will hard to get the entire flower in focus, as a matter of fact, I took some other pics focusing on the background (petals) and the stems show out of focus!

I have the canon 500d as well and I love it. I want to get a macro lens eventually but I am very happy with the canon 500d.

I have the canon 500d as well and I love it. I want to get a macro lens eventually but I am very happy with the canon 500d.

Agreed. Also what is important to note is that you'll get better results if the close up lens is used with a zoom type of lens, for example with a 55-200 lens.

It's not so much the zoom aspect, but the fact that closeup lenses (diopters) give a greater amount of magnifcation on longer focal length lenses.
As for the depth of field - you can close most lenses and diopter setups down to around 13 and even f16 without too much problem provided you are around 1:1 in magnification terms. Once you start getting into much higher magnifcations the diffraction effect starts to happen a lot sooner and so you can't stop down as far without the shot details softening.
The best way to get the full depth of field on a shot like the above is to use the focus stacking method.

The 500D is designed for use on 70-300mm and the 250D is designed for shorter lengths from 30-135mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back