Close up of a Medlar

Actinia

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This photo is more of a close-up rather than macro, but I was using a Macro lens (Sigma 28-80mm at 80mm macro). These Medlars are about 3cm across. This is a composite image using focus stacking in Photoshop. Each image was taken at f/22 for 0.8 second at ISO 400.

MedlarsFocusStacked800.jpg

Medlars are supposed to be ripe for picking in November, but these were all windfalls. They have an interesting surface texture which I was trying to capture. You can see that these fruit are in various stages of 'bletting'. This is a fancy name for 'rotting'. They are supposedly good to eat raw when bletted. It is my intention to make Medlar Cheese out of them.

Comment and Criticism welcome.

Last edited:
Nitpicking: the reflections seem blue, to me, so I wonder if the WB is off. The reflection on the brown one, top and slighty to the right, is a bit bright, IMO.

I've never seen, or even heard of these before. Thank you for posting.

Thanks for the comment. This photo was taken as part of a little project I have using small LED lights to illuminate static objects. See my thread here. The colour temperature of these is supposed to be close to that of daylight, and it looks OK to me. It was intended for use in illuminating fungi. I have posted my first attempt in the woods here. Do you think they look too blue (or at least the whitish one)? I must admit they look OK to me.

They look fine in the others; it might be my monitor. You could shoot a test card to see what happens - either grey or a black & white card and adjust WB in PS.

FWIW: I think the LED light is quite blue as well.

Here is a version in which I warmed up the WB a bit, and brought up the shadows.

You can still see the bluish tint in the reflections.

MedlarsFocusStacked800 - Version 2.jpg

Snowbear said:
They look fine in the others; it might be my monitor. You could shoot a test card to see what happens - either grey or a black & white card and adjust WB in PS.

I photographed a standard grey card using the Auto white balance on the camera and the LED lights. In Camera Raw, the Colour sampler told me that the value for all channels (RGB) agreed within 2 points all over the image. I would take that as indicating that my white balance should be OK.

Most reactions

Back