closeup question

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So when you do closeups how close is the right amount of close? I took these, I know you guys don't like selective coloring but I do! haha. I know I cut his head off but I was wantind his eyes more than anything. And that frame now that i see it here isnt doing anyhting for the picture but is that too close?
And the baby... its supposed to be a close up too but is it too far? I was wondering so I thought I'd ask. Also, anything else I should know about the close up thing? Should I take that part of Jacey's arm out on the second picture? And is that one too dark? Thanks

jimmyeyes.jpg

jacetetes.jpg

Well, thanks. The twinkle in the eyes was done with a filter on my lens. I love it, it's my favorite filter! I didn't have it on for the one with my son. Bummer cause I think it would've added something. Thanks for looking.

okay....first, what kind of filter is it?

Second, skin looks good and natural.

Third, there is no rule as to how close is too close. what will happen is if you are to close for your lens to focus the camera won't let you shoot.

Also, if you are too close and using a wide angle lens and get it to focus, the shots will look silly and distorted, i.e. a giant nose and everything else normal or big head and small body. Kind of a caricature look.

If you want some awesome looking eyes, focus on them. If you don't know how to do it here it is. You have probably 7 points of focus in the view finder. select one using the dial and focus it on the eyes.

They will turn out really nice, even if you're using the kit lens, You can then, make them even better in ps.

all in all they look good and you keep getting better.

Nice job,
Mike V

YAY! Thanks... the filter I used on Jacey's eyes in the selective color one was one of those cross ones that makes lights twinkle. My husband bought it for me as a gift. :)
I seem to never be able to get good focus for whatever reason when I use the automatic focus so I keep doing it manually, so far it seems to turn out a little better that way, but it is much harder. But I'm guessing when I want one specific area to be in focus then i should do that with the focus points.
I'm so glad that the skin looks good cause that's one of my worst faults! It took me so many different tries to get that tone and so many settings! My kid was in the tub and he was really wrinkly by the time I was done!! LOL
thanks again

I like the shots..very natural. But I would take the frames away, they seem distracting to me. I love that filter and I think you got your settings spot on.

Most reactions

Back