What's new

Shooting with rear LCD?

Ovacheerdad

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
West virginia
So I picked up an R6Mii recently. I used to shoot with a 60D but it was never sports, just family and landscapes so this is a whole different animal. This weekend was the first real time out with it. I know I want the 70-200 2.8 and the 24-105 2.8 just not sure which to get first. So I rented the 70-200 for my daughter's cheer comp this weekend since I'm not as close to the stage. Well it got canceled this weekend due to snow, but I did end up being able to go to a middle school basketball game and shoot some pictures. After watching 2 other full time photographers at this game im trying to figure out how they shoot the way they do. I know camera's that one guy shoots with are both r6miis and he mainly uses the rf 24-105. The guy never used the viewfinder the whole game. Always held the camera low and used the back screen. He posted some of the photos to his page today and they are perfect.

Does anyone else shoot like that? How do you keep focus like that? Are you always holding down the focus button while taking pictures?
 
So I picked up an R6Mii recently. I used to shoot with a 60D but it was never sports, just family and landscapes so this is a whole different animal. This weekend was the first real time out with it. I know I want the 70-200 2.8 and the 24-105 2.8 just not sure which to get first. So I rented the 70-200 for my daughter's cheer comp this weekend since I'm not as close to the stage. Well it got canceled this weekend due to snow, but I did end up being able to go to a middle school basketball game and shoot some pictures. After watching 2 other full time photographers at this game im trying to figure out how they shoot the way they do. I know camera's that one guy shoots with are both r6miis and he mainly uses the rf 24-105. The guy never used the viewfinder the whole game. Always held the camera low and used the back screen. He posted some of the photos to his page today and they are perfect.

Does anyone else shoot like that? How do you keep focus like that? Are you always holding down the focus button while taking pictures?
I don't take action photos however I do frequently tilt out the LCD and use that to focus and compose with the camera at waist level or lower. The reason is very simple; perspective in a photo is determined by camera position and perspective is a critical element of composition. If my photo requires the camera be 2.5 feet above the ground I can either get down on my knees and use the eyelevel viewfinder or I can tilt out the LCD and hold the camera lower. My 70 year old knees are very grateful for that tilting LCD.
 
I use it for awkward shots for angles but otherwise entirely just the viewfinder.
 
Same here (but with Nikon) - shots I can't use the viewfinder without pain.
 
Eyefinders are great in bright sunlight when it;s hard to see the LED. I find it faster to compose as well helpful in sports. The LED is nice when shooting pets and children. Yoiu can get down low to their level, making more intimate compositions.
 
I just started using a Canon 60D at the end of December. I think I've used the LCD maybe 2-3 times and really don't expect to use it much going forward outside of looking at pics I just took. It just feels like using a point-and-shoot or a bridge camera that doesn't have a viewfinder. Even though both of my bridge cameras have crappy resolution in the viewfinder, I still prefer using it.
 
Using the flip screen is common in wildlife photography.
For example, imagine a duck on the water.
Shooting down. from eye level, the in-focus water background is not very pleasing.
But shooting with the camera at water level using the flip screen can produce a photo with a blurred background.
 
Does anyone else shoot like that? How do you keep focus like that? Are you always holding down the focus button while taking pictures?
Way back when in my newspaper days (film). We didnt have a back screen, I learned to shoot with both eyes open for a clear view of the action. Fast forward 5 decades, and I still mostly do the same for action shots. However, there are times when I use the back screen...on a tripod, low perspective shots, macro, etc. No need to limit yourself to one method
 
Using the flip screen is common in wildlife photography.
For example, imagine a duck on the water.
Shooting down. from eye level, the in-focus water background is not very pleasing.
But shooting with the camera at water level using the flip screen can produce a photo with a blurred background.

I was going to mention this video. I haven't watched it, but I'm a fan of Steve Perry's, and if he does it, it probably has merit. I just can't get the hang of it after so many years of using a viewfinder. I use that method at car shows to get a lower perspective, because it's too hard to get down on my knees anymore, but for general photography, I still prefer the viewfinder.
 
I used the flip screen to get my R5 low at ground level and create foreground blur.
R5__3303.webp
 
So I picked up an R6Mii recently. I used to shoot with a 60D but it was never sports, just family and landscapes so this is a whole different animal. This weekend was the first real time out with it. I know I want the 70-200 2.8 and the 24-105 2.8 just not sure which to get first. So I rented the 70-200 for my daughter's cheer comp this weekend since I'm not as close to the stage. Well it got canceled this weekend due to snow, but I did end up being able to go to a middle school basketball game and shoot some pictures. After watching 2 other full time photographers at this game im trying to figure out how they shoot the way they do. I know camera's that one guy shoots with are both r6miis and he mainly uses the rf 24-105. The guy never used the viewfinder the whole game. Always held the camera low and used the back screen. He posted some of the photos to his page today and they are perfect.
Does anyone else shoot like that? How do you keep focus like that? Are you always holding down the focus button while taking pictures?
A lot of people do it, especially for angles you just can’t get with a viewfinder. Once you get used to tracking focus on the LCD it becomes pretty natural, but for fast action I still feel like the viewfinder gives better control.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom