club/concert in low light techniques cnc welcome

To be honest i think your being a bit hard on yourself, those shots are not bad at all. As well as that at a first attempt,you will improve

ive done a couple of band shoots and my advice would be use the stage lights to your advantage, try and work out the sequence they go in and time your shots well to try and give you as much light as possible to avoid going with too high an ISO. i wouldn't use flash because i did get shouted at after a gig for putting the guitarist off when i was shooting. hope this helps :)

Like someone said, it's better to have a noisy image that's in focus...versus one that's all blurred and streaky.

I was advised yesterday to crank that ISO to get even exposure to avoid having to brigthen in post...which accentuates the noise more.

Great thread :thumbup:

youll b ok bro, just dont be afarid to max out that ISO, the make it for a reason, if your camera couldnt do it or it looked ridic bad they wouldnt have that high of an iso setting for u.

Attachments

• $hova.jpg
    $hova.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 125
Do lots of research. There are camera tips for shooting concerts all over the internet. It's also good to know your lenses. Does your lens go to f1.4, but really sharpens up at f2.0? Try and keep it there for example. Adjust shutter speed based on the action you see. Is the person standing still singing or dancing around with lots of motion? Are you trying to capture the motion or freeze the action? Adjust the ISO and shutter accordingly. Having a light monster like a 5d or 1d Canon (for example) can help too. But not always necessary.

I took these with a Canon S90. Good tickets helps too, especially if you're not paid to shoot there.

silhouette by Gn!pGnop, on Flickr

shards by Gn!pGnop, on Flickr

holdup by Gn!pGnop, on Flickr

grrr by Gn!pGnop, on Flickr

Used to do a lot of music shooting...

Best tips are shoot wide open, 1.4-2.0
Set you ISO to 1600-3200
Use stage lights best as you can, bigger bands have better lights, local bands don't but might not mind a little flash... Six of one...
If you are allowed to use flash keep it to a minimum setting like 64th power and lower, just enough to fill in shadows
Try and listen to the band before the show and get a feel for the songs and the parts, it'll help out...
Wear all black as to blend in and not stand out, people are there to see the band, not the back of your new Hawaiian shirt, haha.

Most reactions

Back