Coal Region - A Historical Pa Ruin

LostInPa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a few hours to kill on my way to a concert, so i stopped by this famous highway side gem in the coal region of PA. Closed over 30 years ago, this coal breaker was the largest of its kind. Today, ravaged by the weather and vandals, it is left standing with an uncertain future. In the early 90's a preservation society began accepting donations to restore this historical icon to its former beauty. Recent architectural inspections deemed it to be structurally sound do to the use of tar coated sheet metal to protect it from the elements. With these recent findings, the preservation society is now vigorously trying to promote its cause to save the last original anthracite breaker still standing today.

On my visit, i noticed some heavy equipment and a large, recently dug hole right next to a major building. I hope thats a good thing...

1 The Main Breaker Building
IMG_6231.jpg

2 The inside of a smaller conveyor linking buildings
IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6219.jpg

4 Coal Chutes
IMG_6218.jpg

5 The Large Conveyor
IMG_6217.jpg

6 Enjoying the view
IMG_6211.jpg

7 Turbine in the power plant
IMG_6222.jpg

8 Inside the large conveyor - Walk The Chains!
IMG_6213.jpg

9 The large Conveyor ---- Be careful in there ;)
IMG_6206.jpg

Really interesting place, but it looks like some harsh lighting, which seems a little surprising because it looks really cloudy.

Early morning with a tripod might yield better results.

I'd love to go to a place like this and shoot.

Absolutely excellent; my very favorite type of photography. Some excellent potential for B&W conversions. Agree about the lighting, suspect that may have been a result of the long exposures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back