Cokin and other filters...any good to me, you think?

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I am after some advice. I have accumulated over time a few cokin and cokin-like filters, holders etc. I am wondering if they are actually of any use to me, or not. I have a canon 400d, and an assortment of (mostly) manual lenses which I play around with. I have never used filters at all. I use CS5 for PP.

Here is a list of what I have...

2 x cokin filter holders (with 52mm thread adaptors)
1 x filter holder (looks like the cokin ones, but isn't), again 52mm thread.

1 x square filter holder with detachable hood. reversable 49mm/52mm thread adaptor.

1 x cokin A005 sepia
1 x cokin A127 (looks like blue grad)
1 x A056 (doesn't say cokin - round filter, looks like it's a 6-star, or something)

A cokin filter box with:
1 x blue grad (doesn't say cokin)
1 x cokin "chanpagne" - looks like a portrait filter, hazy outer around an oval centre.
1 x grad tabac (doesn't say cokin)
1 x warm tone UV -(doesn't say cokin)
1 x sepia (doesn't say cokin)
2 x grad (looks sepia)(doesn't say cokin)
1 x portrait filter (clear centre circle, textured outer)(doesn't say cokin)
1 x starfire 8 (doesn't say cokin)
1 x portrait soft spot (actual hole in the middle)(doesn't say cokin)

I saw a single cokin holder on ebay go for £10 the other day...so I am trying to decide if these are actually of any use to me, or do I sell them and put the proceeds towards my desparately desired 50mm f1.8!

Thoughts?

The only ones that I'd consider using, would be the grad filters...or maybe the star. The rest are just too easy to replicate in Photoshop (and it's a lot more flexible to do those things in PS).

The only ones that I'd consider using, would be the grad filters...or maybe the star. The rest are just too easy to replicate in Photoshop (and it's a lot more flexible to do those things in PS).

So keep those, and ditch the rest. That is the way I am leaning right now, unless someone convinces me otherwise. Cheers.

Frankly, I'd be tempted to just dish all of them. I have some old Cokin filters and I haven't used them in probably 5 or 6 years. Some people like to use filters and some don't. It's a personal thing.

The one filter that gets a lot of use, is a circular polarizer and maybe an ND filter.

People down them, and yes I could do some of this in Photoshop, but I still like the Cokin filters I have. In fact, I'd buy more gradients and such if my wallet could afford it right now. I can't say I have found much use for the spot filters I've got, but the gradients, and the rest I like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back