Cold weather photography ...

Timbo1961

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All....
Well a noob to this forum...
I have always enjoyed taking images out in the field in cold weather.
In the past, I have had remote cords for placing the battery pack in my jacket to keep the batteries warm, and with the older cameras never had a problem with cold ...
Now I recently took the plunge to a D700 and there is nothing listed in the way of remotely connecting the MB-D10 in such a way that the batteries stay warm... the manual has nothing in the way of accessories and there are lots of warnings about making sure the batteries stay warm.
Any suggestions or ideas in regards to accessories to make sure I stay away from problems would be appreciated.:confused:
Thanks
Tim

I may have to stick to my old F2A for outdoor winter photography.

How cold should I be worried? I'd like to know more abuot this too. I live in Vancouver. I'm assuming it shouldn't effect my camera. It's not like it's gonna be -10.

in the mild temperature region some 6 deg below freezing, I had no real problems with my Canon batteries, no-name Ebay batteries died pretty quickly though, some never came back to life!

I'm thinking in the -10 to -20 degree range.... Celsius that is!
I'm hoping that I won't have any problems, but are there remote cords for the battery pack by third party companies? I have tried googling these things to no avail.

At minus 10 to 20 your batteries will start to fail. Not instantly mind you. It'll be a case of getting 20 minutes of battery life out of them.

Easy solution, keep one battery in your shirt/pants pocket, the other use till it dies, switch them every 20 minutes and you're set.

It worked for the guys down in Antarctica 2 years ago so it should work for you.

How cold should I be worried? I'd like to know more abuot this too. I live in Vancouver. I'm assuming it shouldn't effect my camera. It's not like it's gonna be -10.
Oooh! Vancouver! Scary! I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get pictures in -30 here in Southern Manitoba.

Isn't your winter basically just 2 weeks of rain, anyway?

Most reactions

Back