COLLEGE PHOTO ASSIGNMENT - NON OBJECTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY

rbconbautista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
MY FIRST BASIC ART PHOTO ASSIGNMENT IS ON NON-OBJECTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY. ITS A 5X7 PRINT ON A 8X10 MAT. CAN I PLEASE GET A QUICK CRITIQUE. FROM MY EYES I CAN SEE THAT IT IS ASYMMETRICAL WHICH IS ONE OF THE ASPECTS OF NON-OBJECTIVISM. IM PLANNING TO MAKE TWO MATTED PRINTS ON MONDAY BUT THEY ARE NOT PROCESSED YET SO I HAVE THREE OPTIONS FOR MY ASSIGNMENT THATS DUE WEDNESDAY THE 16TH.
Photo on 10-10-19 at 9.52 PM.jpg

Oh good grief I haven't taken art classes in ages, I've gotta go look up non-objectivism! at least not the type art classes that cover theory and art history and that type thing...

It's pretty cool, I rather like it. I like the view, somewhat hidden, wondering what else is there... the use of pattern, etc. The only thing I'd think about is the right side where it gets rather dark and you sort of lose the pattern and contrast and visual interest.

I might have either thought about giving the potted plant back there a bit of a scoot out of the way (if possible) or leave it as is and adjust the vantage point when taking the picture to be able to see the plant with a little more contrast of dark and light (to be able to make it out better). I think subjects/objects either need to be part of the picture/composition or out of the frame (so they aren't visual distractions). Maybe try to dodge out a little more of that area.

Did they have you make a dodging tool yet?? If not I can tell you how (or take a picture of mine I guess... still have it but I use a Dodgette Set I got at a camera swap).

Oh good grief I haven't taken art classes in ages, I've gotta go look up non-objectivism! at least not the type art classes that cover theory and art history and that type thing...

It's pretty cool, I rather like it. I like the view, somewhat hidden, wondering what else is there... the use of pattern, etc. The only thing I'd think about is the right side where it gets rather dark and you sort of lose the pattern and contrast and visual interest.

I might have either thought about giving the potted plant back there a bit of a scoot out of the way (if possible) or leave it as is and adjust the vantage point when taking the picture to be able to see the plant with a little more contrast of dark and light (to be able to make it out better). I think subjects/objects either need to be part of the picture/composition or out of the frame (so they aren't visual distractions). Maybe try to dodge out a little more of that area.

Did they have you make a dodging tool yet?? If not I can tell you how (or take a picture of mine I guess... still have it but I use a Dodgette Set I got at a camera swap).
You're right that potted plant is a visual distraction and since the picture is already taken theres nothing you can do except to dodge it so it becomes part of the highlights rather than it being a silhouette. I don’t make dodging and burning tools I just use what Mother Nature gave you and dodge and burn using my hands also it saves time.

Last edited:
They simply cannot say abstract?

CC:

for the concept of this assignment, the chair with the glowing background works to a point.
Yes the plant is out of place.
But your also dangerously close to the rules of thirds here and the photo is actually closer to classical composure than not.

Altering the image by either going slightly tilted or even making it square with the same idea may achieve the effect your looking for,.

From What is Non Objective Art? "Non-objective art is a general term that defines abstract art forms that lack adherence to identifiable, quantifiable, and observable characteristics of the living world."

Is that what you mean?
Being abstract is one of the aspects of non objective art. The other aspects are is that they're non-representational and they are not universally recognized.

CC:

for the concept of this assignment, the chair with the glowing background works to a point.
Yes the plant is out of place.
But your also dangerously close to the rules of thirds here and the photo is actually closer to classical composure than not.

Altering the image by either going slightly tilted or even making it square with the same idea may achieve the effect your looking for,.
You are correct. This is why I have two more prints lined up on Monday. They will be ready for critiquing Monday night.

From What is Non Objective Art? "Non-objective art is a general term that defines abstract art forms that lack adherence to identifiable, quantifiable, and observable characteristics of the living world."

Is that what you mean?
Being abstract is one of the aspects of non objective art. The other aspects are is that they're non-representational and they are not universally recognized.

I'd worry that you've not met that breif with your image I'm afraid. I appreciate that you are trying for an asymetrical pattern but the table and chairs are instantly recognisable as objects so may be too representational if that's forming a major part of the criteria.

I think the chairs are fairly recognizable too... I didn't look up non objective yet; I like modern and abstract art but that term doesn't sound familiar offhand.

All it takes is some wire and duct tape! lol I suppose using your hand can work if you don't need to dodge or burn a specific area.

I think the chairs are fairly recognizable too... I didn't look up non objective yet; I like modern and abstract art but that term doesn't sound familiar offhand.

All it takes is some wire and duct tape! lol I suppose using your hand can work if you don't need to dodge or burn a specific area.
Also what I’m dodging is on the edge of the frame if I was dodging in the center I would make a dodging tool out of cardboard and a paper clip and some gaff tape. Try to avoid using reflective tape cuz this might ruin your print

I don't know how long I used the homemade one before I got the Dodgette Set. Made it in a grad workshop (really!). Those were intense, morning noon and night, don't know if I saw daylight for a week! (That's something of an exaggeration, it was summer so might have still been light out.)

I don't know how long I used the homemade one before I got the Dodgette Set. Made it in a grad workshop (really!). Those were intense, morning noon and night, don't know if I saw daylight for a week! (That's something of an exaggeration, it was summer so might have still been light out.)
Easy to lose track of time in the darkroom unless you got a clock in there but we do have a radio and sometimes you can tell what it is just by listening

There was a perpetual radio, always on even in the summer when nobody other than 'Elvis' was in the building. And no windows... yep I lose track of time in a darkroom.

Non- objective or abstract, I prefer in focus, with modest vignetting.

However, I think you have captured your non objective goal rather well.

Most reactions

Back