College student in need of a pro photographer's help

Mullen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but.. I am currently working on a career exploration assignment for my Composition II class and I need to interview a professional photographer. Not knowing any photographers in my area, I have come here hoping one of you could help me.

I need you to answer the following questions. The more info the better.

1. Is the job high maintenance and rushed or relaxed?

2. Do you ever wish you had chosen another profession?

3. Do you work at your own pace of have a set schedule?

4. When your job ends for the day do you still have work to do?

5. Do you think it is better to work for someone or be a freelance photographer?

6. How hard is it to get into the business and earn a decent income?

7. Does the job ever get frustrating knowing that every day people can create competition?

8. Which is better: Taking a photo that you can be proud of or taking a photo that others will like and that you can profit off of?

9. When you take photos do you try to express yourself or try to meet the standards of what someone else thinks is beauty?

10. What is the first step a photographer should take to start profiting?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get. :hail:

Try posting on your local craigslist too.

You might consider posting this in the "General shop talk" forum which is more geared towards the photography business. All very good questions you have there and hope you get the information you seek.

Just remember... creating successful photographs and creating a successful photography business are very different things. This is directly related to your #8 question.

Very high paced, in the news business and news now aday is instant.

Maybe a videographer though this is still a great job.

3. Do you work at your own pace of have a set schedule? Both regualr hours and then over time, iver work for 23 hours straight.

4. When your job ends for the day do you still have work to do? Alwas its never ending.

5. Do you think it is better to work for someone or be a freelance photographer? Its sure nice having a steady paycheck working for someone know youll have a long term job.

I got lucky, though I dont make as much as I would like or feel I deserve.

7. Does the job ever get frustrating knowing that every day people can create competition? Lazy co-workers is what gets me angry. I try to have friendly competition nothing personal.

8. Which is better: Taking a photo that you can be proud of or taking a photo that others will like and that you can profit off of? Sadly photography is subjective not everyone will like your photos. If you happy about it that what matters to me.

9. When you take photos do you try to express yourself or try to meet the standards of what someone else thinks is beauty? I also fall back on my traing getting my standard shots to tell a story then I go for creative shots something eye catching, I have tried the same techniques other famous photog have done and I try my own thing as well.

It all starts with getting an education, then start appyling for a job every where to find an opening.

Thank you very much Snyder, you have no idea how much stress you saved me.

Thank you too, usayit.

I am not a pro, but a lot of these are basic common sense.

Both. Depends on venue. PJ, wedding and news is fast. Portraiture is a bit slower

I think at some point we all wish that, no matter what the job.

3. Do you work at your own pace of have a set schedule?
Depends on if you work for someone else or yourself... though I work for myself and put in more hours than if I was working for someone else.

4. When your job ends for the day do you still have work to do?
Depends, see #3.

5. Do you think it is better to work for someone or be a freelance photographer?
In general, I prefer to run my own business. If it works, I pat MYSELF on the back, if not, I kick my own butt. No one can fire you either.

Depends... how good are you? And not JUST at taking pictures, but how good of a business person are you?

7. Does the job ever get frustrating knowing that every day people can create competition?
I am sure it does. Prosumer camera prices fall daily. Your competitor could be the grandmother down the street or a 12 year old with a new christmas present.

8. Which is better: Taking a photo that you can be proud of or taking a photo that others will like and that you can profit off of?
What are your goals? That will decide this question.

9. When you take photos do you try to express yourself or try to meet the standards of what someone else thinks is beauty?
In the beginning, we mimic, thats how we LEARN. Once we learn, we develop our own style.

Know and understand photography, and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice... oh, did I mention to practice?

Professional level photography is not something that comes with instant gratification, it takes YEARS of hard work to make it... just like any other field of work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back