color & Black and White Flowers

Excellent images... i like B&W as well as colors....

Most of the white flowers bloom at night; so their natural background is black; this is why most flowers in black and white have good impact :D

Angel, congrats on entering my world of florals. Just a great 1st effort, especially since you did it the hard way; at home with a Rube Goldberg setup, which worked just fine for lighting and backdrop. And on top of that, you really pushed the envelope and tackled several B&W images. As others have said, it's not an easy deal to accomplish. For me, florals are all about colors, delicate textures, light, and how they interact.

Picture 1 is just dead center. Not a good composition. All the rest are really well composed, and held my interest. IMHO the best of the set is pic #2. You could improve it some by cropping a little more of the black from the top of the photograph. Color saturation and exposure is dead on. Pic #3 is right behind #2, and is by far the best of the B&W. Great composition with selective focus, really makes this picture stand out. Picture #4 is somewhat under exposed, but all last year I had a horrid time with yellow and white exposures. I've started to carry a small pad that I write notes for myself before an outing, and even a note or two during a shoot. For those two colors I have to open up 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop as the camera computer wants to make these colors neutral gray.

Last edited:
luvmyfamily said:
Love them, especially #2....is that an orchid?? :thumbup:

Alstroemeria is the flower in #2. They last a very long time... Almost 2wks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back