Color C-41 and E-6 film developing at home?

All i know is it is a lot harder than b+w

Its actually NOT much harder.

The biggest thing is gust doing better temperature control of chemicals. This is easily done by with a water bath holding the chemicals.

There are some good videos on youtube about how to do it.

^^This..

I do my own C41 in my kitchen sink. I actually think C41 is easier. It doesn't take as long anyway..

I use Unicolor powdered chemicals and can usually get 8-12 rolls out of a mix. At around $20 per box of chemicals, it's not a bad deal. I've used chemicals for maybe two months, but after that I get trust issues and mix a new batch, but i've read of people using the chemicals for a few months.

Last edited:
bhop said:
^^This..

I do my own C41 in my kitchen sink. I actually think C41 is easier. It doesn't take as long anyway..

I use Unicolor powdered chemicals and can usually get 8-12 rolls out of a mix. At around $20 per box of chemicals, it's not a bad deal. I've used chemicals for maybe two months, but after that I get trust issues and mix a new batch, but i've read of people using the chemicals for a few months.

Rodinal is much cheaper for C41

Rodinal is much cheaper for C41

But Rodinal does lack that sort of color, that C41 processing has, lol.

Question though, what would happen if you tried to process E-6 in Rodinal or other BW chemistry? Just curious if it could be used to check some out of date slide film to see if an image would still appear?

Canuk said:
But Rodinal does lack that sort of color, that C41 processing has, lol.

Question though, what would happen if you tried to process E-6 in Rodinal or other BW chemistry? Just curious if it could be used to check some out of date slide film to see if an image would still appear?

Thats coming next got some Kodachrome 64 i know it can be done seen it on the net

Interesting results, really grainy though.
Not sure if thats what I'd like to end up with, might be worth the $$ just to get a roll developed to see what it turns out like. Thanks for the links.

Interesting results, really grainy though.
Not sure if thats what I'd like to end up with, might be worth the $$ just to get a roll developed to see what it turns out like. Thanks for the links.

The Kodachrome ones ive seen have virtually no grain
This is XP2 (c41 b+w) in Rodinal
Brian-and-Shirley-L.jpg

and C41 colour in Rodinal scanned as colour
Dead-Flower-L.jpg

Thanks for the example Gary.
The C41 doesn't seem to have much grain at all.

Canuk said:
Thanks for the example Gary.
The C41 doesn't seem to have much grain at all.

Im really impressed with Xp2 in Rodinal got another 7 rolls that Ilford sent me for free

Most reactions

Back