Color Film Question

Unless they're moving the slider to the left to compensate for the fact that their digital camera has already oversaturated their jpegs to start with! Which 99% do :|

Even with raw files I think that I get a saturation level closer to what I'm used to with film after I knock 10 points or so off the saturation in ACR.

I used all sorts of Agfa, Konica, Fuji and Kodak slide and negative films and the best one for overall usage was Kodak Gold 100. Some of the best pictures I've seen were done on Kodak Gold. Surprisingly, it's a good and well rounded film. Once you get a better understanding of what you want you can try other films.

I've found that Kodak's Portra NC films are very good for normal saturation and a bit low contrast. The Portra VC films have higher saturation (NC is for Natural Color, and VC is for Vivid Color) and also look quite good. My personal favorite high-saturation films are Kodak's 100 and 400 UC films.

Anyway, these three films, although they're a bit more expensive, are quite excellent. If you've been using the base-consumer stuff (ie 100 Gold), try a roll of Portra. You might find that you're quite happy with it. Or, you might decide to switch to Fuji (I've used, I think, one roll of Fuji--ever--and that was by accident, so I can't really comment on it).

Just as a side note.... I have a hundred foot roll of kodak portra 160 out of date by 8 years. Its also 46mm. I have shot it reasonably successfully as 127 roll film but it is way way slower than when manufactured. Just a passing note.

When you have the money to buy great films (like velvias, for instance.. or ProZs), I find out that kodak gold 200 is surprisingly... not bad at all (far better than it's 100 brother); then you have reala wich gives you a great natural colour; the superia line... only the 400 and above.

But if I had to choose the best relation price/quality, I would go for Kodak portra VC (saturation lover here), or any one of the Kodak Supra family.

Provia is my slide film of choice, or Kodachrome when available. I don't shoot much color print film, but have had good results with fuji NPS, and with Kodak's Portra VC and UC.

I usually shoot Reala and Velvia, I have found that the Kodak UC was pretty good in 120.

Cheers

This is what I have noticed, this is just my opinion! ok.. I am no body!

so I will give my opinion..

any place you take your film to for processing, is NOT going to go as good of a job and put as much care into that film, as you would.

those people in that "lab".. are just doing a job and they really don't care if they have to replenish chemicals etc as often as they do etc.

they just want to get home.. ! work sucks! no matter what you do or where you do it.. I know people are going to argue this point, lets move on.

THERE IS ONLY ONE FILM MADE: FOR EXACT COLOR matching ACCURACY

This film is made. for the sole purpose of matching the original subject!

and it works!

Buy one roll of Kodak Vericolor film VPS.

I GOT BORED with black & white quickly.. very quickly.. only because I knew I could never approach the quality and the finesce' of the masters.

black & white is an artform. all I could accomplish were snapshots!

so I was determined to LEARN color AND LEARN it better than anyone.

wether or not I have ever achieved this is obvious! I never have! or ever will.

BUT I DO KNOW. and remember very very well the words of a very famous photographer that said.. if you want to learn "color" then just pick ONE FILM and stick with it.. THEN YOU WILL LEARN that films "personality".

VERICOLOR film is unmatched in quality! stick with the best.. "Kodak"!

"there is much point in comparing color negative films for color accuracy."

and don't ever trust important film, to anyone, but yourself!

Processing color negative film at home in the kitchen is a snap, easy to do

very cheap to do, but it takes "practice"!

I cannot get anywhere near the same results with other films kodak or fuji, when I have had to use them on occassions, only because, I haven't learned their personality as much as I have practiced and learned Vericolor, thousands of rolls, hundreds of cases of paper,

VERICOLOR for colors that Match.. Exacting colors! its the best stuff out there!

Learn how to use it!

I did.. it was perhaps the #1 reason for my success! EVERYTIME!

bath.jpg

read in a book or leanred in a school that said.. (no offense is intended here)

but it is posted on another thread.. that grey snow is a sign of underexposure, I replied that I would argue that issue, anyday and present this image as evidence of why I said what I said.

bath.jpg

I walked right past these children. only stopping to compose and shoot one frame.. no light meter. I ddin't have time.. to do anything but -=click=- I already knew the exposure.. long before I ever saw them. shooting from the hip has to be quick! fast! or you will never ever get that chance again! I was in the right place at the right time.
THAT ONE -=click=- has brought in more $ than you would ever believe!

a "few" homes worth!

Well I never did buy any homes with the $$ we madeand it looks as though I was WRONG! OH GOSH!I didn't know Vericolor was discontinued!so EVERYTHING I typed must be wrong also!?so sorry for my mistake.. ! I was wrong!I am not afraid to admit it one bit! yes i was WRONG!thanks for letting me know! I sincerlly mean it.. !my name is Dave also !

only because we purchased 100 rolls of vericolor in 2002. and now I am totally baffled where we even got that film from.

I truely did not know that Kodak discontinued making that stuff.. it sure was an incredible film.. !

I primarily work with Black & White film and really like Ilford film for that. (Kodak is alright but not as good as Ilford).

Lately I have been doing more color and since I don't really do it much I don't know what to buy, I have been buying Kodak but am becoming increasingly more and more disappointed with the outcome, in some cases the pictures came out horrible roll after roll on one shoot, none of them were usable but the black and white rolls used in that same shoot were perfect.

So I am wondering if anyone knows a good 35mm color film that comes in rolls of 36 exposures.
I dont like Kodak for color prints. This is backward for many people but for me I like Kodak slide film, and Fuji print film. Even the cheaper superia stuff is great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back