color question

santino

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.artofart.com
Hello my dear friends!

I've got the following question, how can I achieve colors like shown in that examples ?

http://www.antjeegbert.de/lifestylediplom1.html

I shoot only slide film when it comes to color (if it was digital I wouldn't ask).

btw. I used expired slide film and it looked quite similar, do I have to buy lots of expierd film, use filters etc. ?

thanks.

I'd personally say that was plain old neg film, probably fuji (based on the green being there, but the skin tones not as much) and it just looks washed out to me!! The main influence is the bright yet overcast sky, giving a flat even lighting tone to everything.

Your out-of-date slide film has probably just lost some of it's saturation, or it's been slightly overexposed to produce the wishy washy look.

The color saturation kind of reminds me of a little overexposed ektachrome. But I figure that it has to do with the lighting setup. Whether they used strobes with cooling gels or just reflectors, I'm not sure.

I would personally say that they didn't use any effects or artificial lighting in the majority of them. Perhaps a silver reflector, but the shots are very neutrally lit indicating to me that it's just the sky and perhaps a reflector or a little touch of fill flash.

Given the weather at the moment, I'd say grab yourself a roll of Reala and try out overexposing by 1/2 to 1 stop to blow it out a little. Given that auto-levels in PS has no effect on these images, it seems likely they've been given some amount of digital editing as well.

they look very natural and as far as I know she uses MF slide film so no digital editing. probably it's really the expired film overexposed a stop. I don't think that there was fancy ligthing (fill in flash maybe).

I thought about it deeply, it has to be expired negative material, slides are usually more saturated. I will give it a try. I've got 5 rolls of fuji nph 400 that are expired about a 5 years, is that enough?

They very first shot looks to me to have some fill flash. I wasn't figuring that it was a major lighting set-up. A small flash is a strobe also. :blushing: It just doesn't look to me that just an overcast sky can give the pop in the skin tones like in those shots. Just my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back