What's new

Lomography Color Tiger question

Kotobukicat

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 28, 2024
Messages
46
Reaction score
20
Location
Missouri
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Again,

So here is something I have been wondering about. I purchase all of my 110 filmstock from Lomography because they are the only game in town. I am grateful that they are selling new 110 film. On their website, they state that their Color TIger film is made in the U.S. Since I accept this as fact, then I must assume (noting the old cliché about assumptions) that it is made by Kodak, unless there is a clandestine film manufacturing operation going on here in the states that I do not know about. And herein is my question.

If Kodak is making Color Tiger, are they just selling bulk unperfed filmstock to Lomography who then spools it into the cartridges with backing paper, or is Kodak actually contracting the whole manufacturing process for Lomography. If this is the case, (and I have heard nothing about this from anyone, that means that Kodak actually has the means to manufacture 110 film from the raw film to the cartridges to the final spooling and assembly. If not, there is a middle man somewhere, But somebody is making the plastic cartridges and backing paper. I would like to know who is doing this, if it is Kodak, an East European company or someone else. I would be very excited if it was actually Kodak, because that would mean that someday, there is the possibility that they might return to making 110 film themselves.

I know that one does not make art gallery images with 110. It is for snapshots, teen parties and Christmas holidays with little ones opening presents. I simply like it for the lo-fi images that it makes and for the nostalgia factor. I also like to keep a 110 instamatic in my pocket when I explore forgotten cemeteries, etc when I do not want to drag all of my "real" camera gear with me.

Thank you for any insight into this question! :-}

Joe

P.S. Lomography seems to have tightened up the QA on their Color Tiger. In the last 10 rolls that I have ordered, I have had no backing paper pinhole leaks... Maybe I am just lucky on this.
 
If that is the case, and I suspect that it is the case, who is doing the assembly? Is someone importing the carts and backing paper and assembling them here in the US, or are we exporting the film and they are assembled elsewhere and re-imported to the U.S?

I do not want to start an argument over what filmstock Kodak is selling to be rebranded, but from the few good images that I have coaxed out of my Minolta 100 Zoom SLR, I say it looks like Color plus. Thoughts?

Best,

Joe
 
Lomography is evasive about where it sources film stock. They've plainly lined up offshore cut/respool/packaging services for their "products." If you can get 110, shoot it and enjoy.
 
are we exporting the film and they are assembled elsewhere and re-imported to the U.S?
95% of the time it's that.

And.........
Eastman Kodak: Most Kodak color negative films (e.g., Gold, UltraMax, Portra, Ektar) are produced at their large manufacturing complex, the Eastman Business Park, in Rochester, New York.

Fujifilm: The Fujicolor 200 film sold in the US is reportedly manufactured by Eastman Kodak. However, Fujifilm has also recently restarted its own color film production line for some C200 and C400 negative films in Nanning, China, through a partnership with a local company called Yes Star.

Harman Technologies: While best known for their black and white films (Ilford, Kentmere) made in Mobberley, UK, they have recently entered the color film business with their own color film, Harman Phoenix. They do not manufacture the "Ilford Ilfocolor" line, which is produced elsewhere, likely by remnants of the German film industry.

Inoviscoat (ADOX): This German company acquired some industrial assets from the fallen giants of the industry (Agfa and Ilford's Swiss side) and produces some color negative films for other brands like Lomography in Germany.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom