Color space?

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Should I set my camera to shoot the same space that I work in adobe? I think adobe is pro photo RGB. I was cruising through my camera menus and it was set at srgb as default.

use the same color space for your whole workflow and it makes things much easier to calibrate.

Setting it to sRGB just makes things dead easy from start to end. Playing with anything else is a big hassle, and as far as I am concerned is much more trouble than it's worth unless you send your photos to a professional lab to be printed.

If you are shooting in Raw, the colour space can be chosen during conversion. I shoot Raw+JPEG most of the time, and solely JPEG on occasions. I set Adobe RGB (1998) for the JPEGs. Then if I switch to JPEGs only, I'll have them in the larger colour space (sRGB is a smaller colour space). I work in Adobe RGB, and only convert to sRGB for web output or for sending to one of the many labs that assume sRGB, no matter what the file is tagged with.

Very few LCD monitors can display the full Adobe RGB space, so as Garbz says, unless you are printing yourself or sending to a lab that can use Adobe RGB you may as well stick to sRGB.

Printer and monitor calibration is carried out using effectively untagged files (and no profiles should be applied during calibration), so colour space is not an issue there.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back