Colorado Sunset

Steel26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
1wz8.jpg

What could I have done to make this better?

maybe despeckle it, but otherwise it's a more than reasonable shot. I think your problem is that there is no clear subject. Would have been great if there was a single tree or something.

it would probably make a great background wallpaper for your computer (or anyones)

Hi,

Use lower ISO settings for nightshots (100, 200) and with the help of a tripod, extend exposure time. To increase DOF, use smaller apertures. You have some grains because of ISO.

That's all I could say. It might be a beautiful shot.

P.S. : You might have taken the phto before the sun totally set. Seeing the sun partially would add value to the photograph..

aedemirci said:
Hi,

Use lower ISO settings for nightshots (100, 200) and with the help of a tripod, extend exposure time. To increase DOF, use smaller apertures. You have some grains because of ISO.

That's all I could say. It might be a beautiful shot.

P.S. : You might have taken the phto before the sun totally set. Seeing the sun partially would add value to the photograph..

the photo was taken at 200 ISO, and there is no need to change the aperture because there is nothing to focus on, you just set the lens to infinity and take the shot.

I think the attraction of this shot is the colors in the sky, which with the sun being in the picture it probably wouldn't have looked like that.

Hi,

I just wrote some basic tips about nighttime phoography. Not all my words (like the aperture value) about the photograph.

Who knows how the setting sun would affect the photo without seeing it actually....

Some people might want to see the sun in the pic, some don't. Everyone gets something different from a photo. That's the reason why photography is an individualistic art.

Regards..

Thanks for your help guys.

Me and a friend were camping on the colorado river. It had been raining hard for 2 hrs i get out of the tent see this. My lens wasnt wide enough so i had to run almost a mile away so I could get the whole thing in frame. I took a bunch of shot some just before the sun disapeared and that blew out the sky so you could see the colors at all.

One thing I would like to know is i should go in and make the mountian completely dark or if I should combine it with another shot and make the mountian brighter. Or should I just leave it as is?

Hi Steel26,

All three options can be valued. Your current shot is also great I think. It has its own mood. If you make the mountain completely dark, it might be a nice photo as the mountain would become a silhouette.

If the contrast between the sky and the mountain is too high, you might consider a method called HDR. Take a photo of the sky with correct EV and then do the same for the mountain. Then combine two pictures with the help of a software or in the dark room :)

The best is to try all options and decide which one is the best by yourself. Of course it would be great if you share your outputs with us :thumbup: ..

Regards,

Most reactions

Back