Colored filters for flash

cabledawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Whats the purpose? Do they act similar to lens filters? Just wondering since I found some for my Sunpak 422. I havent gotten into much flash photography yet but thought if it makes so cool effects I'd try them out.

Some are used to match color to ambient light. For instance, you may not want to use a bare flash outside in the sun because the flash will look blue with WB set for ambient light. In this case you would use a CTO gel which will add warmth to the flash and help match ambient light. Other times a photographer may just want to use a colored gel to change the color of a gray backdrop or add artistic or dramatic elements to a scene.

Regarding matching strobe output to ambient, the gels are crucial because this correction is difficult, if not impossible in post prod.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! So I was somewhat correct in my assumption that it acts like the colored filters for the lens.

Well I'll get these inserts and try 'em out. If nothing else, I dont like/use them and they go into the "spare parts" camera bag and I'm only out $20.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! So I was somewhat correct in my assumption that it acts like the colored filters for the lens.

Well I'll get these inserts and try 'em out. If nothing else, I dont like/use them and they go into the "spare parts" camera bag and I'm only out $20.

What's the kit look like? I've got this one and am pretty happy with it: ExpoImaging Rogue Gels Universal Lighting Filter Kit ROGUEGELS-U

On the 422D, there is a kit (TL-6) that has a fresnel lens and built in bounce flap, but also has slots for the matching 9pc filter kit (FK-1). I have the TL-6 and found a good deal on a complete and fairly unused FK-1.

Some are used to match color to ambient light. For instance, you may not want to use a bare flash outside in the sun because the flash will look blue with WB set for ambient light. In this case you would use a CTO gel which will add warmth to the flash and help match ambient light. Other times a photographer may just want to use a colored gel to change the color of a gray backdrop or add artistic or dramatic elements to a scene.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Most reactions

Back