Columbia River Gorge

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
These are from the same weekend as the Multnomah Falls pics.

Starting at the east end on the gorge (Washington side) we have a Stonehenge replica.
maryhill060505_02.jpg

A bit farther west (part of the same property) is Maryhill Museum. As we were touring the gardens we kept hearing this incredibly raucous squawking from the back of the garden. Turns out there's a small grassy area with picnic tables. Some of them were already occupied when we got back there.
maryhill060505_05.jpg

Near the middle is Bonneville Dam. Lots of water spilling in the spring runoff.
bonneville060506_04.jpg

And a resident of the sturgeon pond.
bonneville060506_01.jpg

And toward the west end of the gorge stands Vista House. Built as a "comfort station" (read rest stop) for the old original highway from Portland to the east. It had been recently refurbished and reopened 2 days before this was taken. Opening day was nice and sunny, unlike the day we visited.
This shot is extensively processed to enhance the moodiness of the day.
vista_house060507.jpg

Didn't Sam Hill build that complex? If I remember correctly it was in the memory of WW1 servicemen and women.

Have not been there in years.

Yes he did. It was built as a personal residence and then he never lived in it. It's an interesting structure. Can you believe I don't have a single picture of it? Spent so much time outside just looking around we didn't take any & we went home on the Oregon side. Have to go back again soon.

dam one looks great sky and backdrop :mrgreen:

I LVOE the Dam picture! The blues of the mountains in the background is stunning!

Brian

Ab$olut- thanks, it was a nice view. :)

New Hampshire- All that water against the sky & backdrop was pretty impressive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back