Comments would be appreciated.

NEWBOY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hopefully below is a link to one picture I took today.
Also hopefully it will show the settings etc I used.
Bearing in mind I was virtually playing around with Camera settings, any help will be appreciated with regards to better settings etc.
Cheers.
NEWBOY

Last edited:
I'm going go give you my novice opinion. The exposure seems fine, perhaps a bit on the blown out side, and the subject is evident. It could have been much better composed if the birds where not in part covered by grass and if you shot them from a much lower angle (as not to shoot down on them). Seems to me like the photo also lacks a bit of sharpness (subjects are a little soft). The photos also seems very busy so next time you shoot wildlife try to isolate them in the least complicated backgrounds/foregrounds. This is hard to do but really makes a difference in the final outcome.

Thanks very much for your observations.
Your suggestions are very helpful and I will be taking them on-board.
Please explain what you mean when commenting on the exposure as being ( a bit on the blown out side )
Just brought my first magazine and I am finding I understand just a little bit more as I read further.
Thanks again.
Oh and by the way, were you able to view the camera settings I used etc when looking at the picture?
I tried to submit the appropriate details when posting the link but I didn't know how to do it for sure.
Cheers
John

Blown out is when the photo is overexposed and loss in detail occurs in the highlights of an image. This can be corrected to an extent with photoshop or Lightroom. When it's sunny out and the light is harsh its very easy to overexpose an image or portions of. I didn't see your settings but for a bright sunny day like this I would keep my ISO at 100, shoot at the sharpest F stop of the lens (for most of my lenses that's about f/8) and adjust the shutter speed accordingly, probably in the 1/250 to 1/2000 range depending on the lighting and what you're exposing for.

Pretty much what the Captain said...

the light is dappled harsh light and shadow (exposure is good, since within those two ranges your camera won't have the dynamic range to cover both)

You managed to focus on the ducks and not the grass.. good!

When the subject is behind foreground elements, it can be difficult to really get a good shot... it is just too distracting.

Your exif data is available on Flickr, so yes... we could see the settings.

If you grab this HTML / BBC Code, and just paste it here... the image will show up here. Which makes it easier all around....

$how-to-Flickr.JPG

Thanks for the explanation and the further advice everyone.
I will post the code next time as explained.
The help you guys give is much appreciated.
One day I may well be able to offer advice, but meanwhile don't hold your breaths.
Cheers,
John

A another pick using the zoom lens.
Hopefully this is the right data for picture.
Yes it is because its shown here.
Well I never, I got the transfer right, but the picture requires input please.

Cropped by Early Days, Start of a Journey, on Flickr

Last edited:
A another pick using the zoom lens.
Hopefully this is the right data for picture.
Yes it is because its shown here.
Well I never, I got the transfer right, but the picture requires input please.

Cropped by Early Days, Start of a Journey, on Flickr

Shot at 55mm. Am assuming this is a Major Crop.. since to be that close with a 55, you would be almost touching the bird? The crop exceeds the resolution of the image, giving very poor image quality.

Exif data

Camera Canon EOS 1100D
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 55 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire

Your right about the major crop.
If my interest grows and I hope it does I will be purchasing a better zoom lens.
Meanwhile it helps me learn, and I have a lot to learn.
Just looked at some pictures shown above, and they are superb.
Still its onward and upwards meanwhile.

Your right about the major crop.
If my interest grows and I hope it does I will be purchasing a better zoom lens.
Meanwhile it helps me learn, and I have a lot to learn.

That is what it is all about! Learning... and improving a little bit every time you pick up the camera! :thumbup:

This photo was taken at 6-30am and the light was such I thought it might make a good subject.
I called it Youth and Old Age.
I took two ( on Flikr ) and chose this one as being the best.
I am playing around with the ISO, Fnumber, and manual focus.
What do you reckon.

Youth and Old Age by Early Days, Start of a Journey, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back