Compact camera with the best image quality for giclee prints/wide format prints?

LNeece

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am an artist and amateur-to-intermediate photographer. I am specifically looking to upgrade from my current point-and-shoot compact (Canon Powershot sx200is - 12MP, 12x zoom) because I've had difficulty photographing my mixed media paintings for web and print. I've been putting off buying a new camera, because I love the one I have - perfect all-around compact for what I've been using it for - but I just can't get enough definition and detail when I photograph my fine art paintings. I work primarily on wood, which is printed, dyed, and finished, so that the wood grain is part of the background. I've recently switched to a matte finish in an effort to eliminate the glare that has been a huge part of the problem in photographing them in the past, but the wood grain in the background is still ever-so-slightly blurred or soft-looking in all of my photographs. In the past, a professional photographer friend photographed a group of them for me with excellent high definition results. I've tried to mimic his techniques (photographing them outdoors in the shade) without much luck and also in different types of lighting, which leads me to think it's my camera.

With that said, I'm looking at purchasing a wide-format photo printer to use in making archival fine art prints and am thinking a 16MP would be a good upgrade to serve this purpose. If I intend to use my images to create up to 13x19 prints, am I correct in looking at cameras with a higher number of megapixels? From what I've read so far, it seems that some printers think 12 MP should be enough to create larger prints, but others suggest 15-21 MP for larger prints. I've mostly been looking at cameras in the $100-300 price range for budgeting purposes, but I want to make sure that the next camera is a real upgrade in image quality for printing.

Am I correct in looking at 16 MP compact cameras or do I need something even more capable?

Thanks!
Lara

There is so much more to printing large than just mpx. I have seen plenty of large, 24x36 prints made using 6mpx cameras. Don't bee fooled on the megapix hype.

Have you looked into the G12? Once you learn it, it takes great pics for a point and shooter. I have seen many prints in the 11x14 to 12x18 range come out very spectacular with that camera. That's the only personal experience I have seen...so I can't comment on others, but maybe others can chime in.

With quality being important, might as well go all the way and get an RX1. :)

I have a Canon PowerShot SD550 and just made a 30X36 cancas print and I must say i was impressed with that little camera.....11x14 prints are sharp and spot on. What you have is even better see what you can do with it.

I hadn't looked at that one yet, but thanks! I'll look into it. Do you know what other important variables go into determining the image quality (aside from MP) for print?

Megapixel will only take you so far. Having a tiny sensor with huge number of pixels on it will likely provide lower optical resolution and higher noise than a large sensor with fewer pixels. It's really a balancing act. I'd stay away from super zooms, and having access to a choice of lenses, such as Micro 4/3, NEX or other compact mirrorless camera bodies should be also considered. Obviously lens performance is important, and wider apertures tend to perform better stopped down than smaller minimum apertures wide open. A camera with RAW support should also be considered.

There is more to it than just the camera, but the Sigma DP2 Merrill might be ideal for you if you want excellent quality prints.

I just ordered a Panasonic Lumix LX7 for my daughter for Christmas. It's supposed to have good IQ....should have it by Thursday.

again..I don't have the experience of other cameras..but I'm sure they are out there as mentioned in the thread already, I don't speak on things unless I have personal experience with them...we can all Google. lol. I do know the G12 shoots raw and has full PSAM, custom menus, custom WB, good in low light, hotshoe adapter for flash, as well as a great lens, all of which add in their own way to creating that great shot. Many local pro's who shoot concerts and things where you are not allowed to bring in your dSLR's use the G12's as their go to PnS cameras.

not trying to sell you on it, lol, just the only one I know of that I can speak on.

So, I'm sure there are others...it's just that the G12 performs great from what I haver personally seen.

If you look at my website www.laraneeceart.com you can see examples of what I'm photographing and would like to reproduce as prints along with a comparison of my photographer friend's photos of my work vs. ones I've taken more recently. The image of the aligator panel on the home page is one that my friend took and I love the definition in the wood grain. If you look at the other aligator panel that I photographed in the category of "ink + acrylic on wood" you can clearly see the difference in quality that I'm talking about. You can also look at the portfolio category "ink + dye on birch" for photos that I've taken more recently. The panels are smaller in size, but you can still see that the wood grain is slightly blurry. Seems to be good enough for Web, but I'm not so sure about print.

If anyone has any other tips for photographing them with the camera I have now, I'm all ears! :)
Thanks!

Attachments

• $HummingbirdWood12x12.jpg
    $HummingbirdWood12x12.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 198
  • $Lionfish12x12.jpg
    $Lionfish12x12.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 189
  • $Alligator_7smWEB.jpg
    $Alligator_7smWEB.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 194
I think they look fine, but I'm not seeing print or in person. what camera did your friend use that you're comparing your shots to? was the lighting different?

I see lighting issues per se, not so much camera issues.

I downloaded and looked closer in photoshop. Your buddies image is a higher quality file. Yeah its a bit sharper, but I'm sure you can do that with your current camera. Yours is a much smaller file and will not look great printed, its like 5x11 at 72 ppi which will not blow up well at all. His is 38x19 at 72 ppi which will blow up fine to 11x14 etc.

again...I'm certain your camera will do the job as this sort of thing is not that "special" for lack of better words.

you'll need good lighting, set your camera at best quality, shoot raw if you can, and expose properly. Use tripod. Should be just fine IMO.

I'm not sure what he was using at the time. I can inquire. He photographed them outdoors in the shade. The small ones I attached were photographed inside, so yes those are different lighting. I photographed them on a sunny day using natural light from a window. My canvas paintings turn out just fine when I photograph them like that. I have a tripod, too.

Most reactions

Back