Complete Beginner Questions - AF and Light Metering

SarasotaTim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks...I pride myself on my research capabilities, you'd think I'd find the exact answer out there on basic questions such as this, but as I've found you guys to be so knowledgeable, probably easier this way lol

1. Autofocus - Using my Canon system, I have a 7 point AF....how do I use this when taking shots? The manual is not very exact about this........I know a few of them light up when I line up a shot, does the center point need to be over my subject, or....I'm confused.

2. In-Camera Light Metering - Again, manual isn't very precise about this.........I'm on Evaluative metering (I've looked up the difference in metering systems already), how do I meter for a scene? Am I meant to point the MIDDLE of my viewfinder at the subject to meter....or am I supposed to point the middle at the BRIGHTEST object in the scene, or? Confused on this too...

Thanks in advance for any help guys/gals :)

0. answer 1 is also inside your manual ;) .
1. by default the point selection is automatic (it is what you see when more than one point are on: on means that focus is there). This is good until you just shoot snapshots. If you aim to some more control, you may modify behaviour with a button (far right, top in mine), plus arrows. A good idea could be to activate just the central one, focus with half shutter button down, then recompose. When you feel is better not to recompose, choose one of the points closer to where you want to focus.
2. If you want to meter on a single point in the scene, you should use spot/partial metering (in the center most likely). If not, evaluation is more or less an average, eventually weighted more at the center. Evaluative metering attempts an exposure basing on how the overall scene is appearing in various areas. You may block exposure at a certain scene, for further recomposition, with the * button.

Thanks for the response!!

Ok think I'm getting it now...however, I see you're shooting with the same camera I am....I was under the impression that the 1000D/Rebel XS didn't have spot metering available?

0. answer 1 is also inside your manual ;) .
1. by default the point selection is automatic (it is what you see when more than one point are on: on means that focus is there). This is good until you just shoot snapshots. If you aim to some more control, you may modify behaviour with a button (far right, top in mine), plus arrows. A good idea could be to activate just the central one, focus with half shutter button down, then recompose. When you feel is better not to recompose, choose one of the points closer to where you want to focus.
2. If you want to meter on a single point in the scene, you should use spot/partial metering (in the center most likely). If not, evaluation is more or less an average, eventually weighted more at the center. Evaluative metering attempts an exposure basing on how the overall scene is appearing in various areas. You may block exposure at a certain scene, for further recomposition, with the * button.

You'll get it...keep picking it up and studying it...it'll come to you...this is a great place to learn pretty much everything photography...no need to google when you have a great community here at TPF willing to help each other learn and grow in this interest/hobby/profession...

Thanks Drex :) It's definitely coming easier......I need to grab that book I keep seeing referenced online too I suppose, the Canon Rebel XS Field Guide.......delves a little further into the finer points it appears...

Your Canon XS has about the most rudimentery controls of any entry-level camera.

You are correct that you do not have the spot metering mode. That is unfortunate, because spot metering is the most accurate while also being the most difficult to use.
All metering with the 1000D is limited to the center of the viewfinder.
Evaluative metering considers the entire scene, and averages the exposure.
Center-weighted metering considers the entire scene, but gives added weight to the central 70% or so of the scene.
Partial metering only considers the central 10% of the scene, and is as close as you can get to spot metering (typically about 2% of a scene) with your XS.

To use partial metering you would center the viewfinder on that part of the scene you want exposed accurately. If you wanted to measure the range of light in other parts of the scene you would need to move the center of the viewfinder to those other parts

I say this a lot on here but go get a copy of Peterson's Understanding Exposure. If the camera companies were smart they would give a copy of it away with every entry level DSLR they sell. People would learn faster and be ready to upgrade sooner. There would be a lot less people who buy a DSLR thinking it will take perfect pictures. It doesn't work that way for them so they give up and never buy another camera, or go back to a point and shoot.

Most reactions

Back