Completely new to photography

Thuc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll start by introducing myself. I'm Thuc Vu, 13 years old,and totally brand new to photography. I took my brother's canon AE-1 since he left it at home in his closet. Recently bought 200 iso film for it (i've already setted the ASA to 200.), I plan on doing a lot of portrait photography ( of cars). But I've recently ran into a problem. I wanted to take a portrait photo of a mug indoors, and my light meter is telling me to use an f stop of 12 and its flashing red. I've setted my shutter speed to 60. Since i don't have a tripod i can't really go lower or else i'll have camera shake. But my main problem is , I wanted a much more shallow depth of field , and to bring out my subject more (mug). But I can't really do that if my f stop is set to about 11. Can I compensate for that by setting my shutter speed to about 1/250, and let my f stop be 4 so I can bring out my subject more and also at the same time let in less light by using a higher shutter speed but also getting a good exposure? Thanks in advance =).

Hi Thuc and welcome to Photography and to this forum.
I don't know how you're metering but the meter isn't telling you you "must" use f12.
It's telling you f12 and 1/60 is a good combination.

As you open up 1 full f stop you can double the shutter speed.
f8.0 & 1/125
f5.6 & 1/250
f4.0 & 1/500
f2.8 & 1/1000

Do you have the Canon AE-1 or the AE-1 Program ?

Is the lens aperture set to A ?

The AE-1 meter was based on the shutter speed ... so if you increase your shutter speed your aperture will go down (as Steve01 pointed out).

Most reactions

Back