Composition critique for simple and complex/busy pics

DriedStrawbery

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm studying composition and practicing with various pics.

Attached are two - one is complex/busy, another is simple.

Pls review and share your thoughts.

In the bike pic, the shot was in the color and nothing but the lamp stood out, but with B&W, the contrast kids of brought out the bike and the tree.

Thanks for your time.
IMG_20180723_115155-01.jpeg
IMG_20180724_121208_805.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

The first shot is a photograph of somebody's elegantly-designed sculptural installation, the second appears to be a cluttery interior of a pub or restaurant...the first photo is mostly pleasing, due to the work of the original artist, while the second photo is unsettling,excessively high in contrast, and not compelling.

Film has really taught me to slow down. I find it useful and does carry over when I pick up the digital. The first image would be improved if the little triangle in the upper right corner was cropped out. For stuff like that, I tend to get in close and make a detail shot with composition being main objective. I would also reference the image by artist name, and title of piece.... detail of "Funnel" by artist Joe Smoe . The second one is real cluttered, I would have walked away, more than likely. However, if I had a 16mm or wider, I may have looked to get in close and tight somewhere and pulled a detailed abstract image. Hard to say, wasn't there.

Really do like the first image.

Agree with Derrel

Not to be too critical but I find the photos too "busy and busier" for my taste.

But I am an engineer not an artist. :1398: Simpler goes a long way with me.

Take Care

Most reactions

Back