Compromising Your Integrity

Photography is a hobby - my only compromise is when I am waiting for birds and my daughter come running up wanting me to shoot her running in circles, in front of flowers where hummingbirds normally feed.

BUT if I were doing it as a business and putting food on table depends on compromise ... OF COURSE!

I believe photography as a business is more about sales, and sales is all about compromise and giving the client what they want, regardless of how stupid their idea. They are footing the bill so make them happy.

Glad I'm not in sales - I only talk to computers :)

Conflict is almost inevitable as soon as you have a need for income from photography.

Don't want to compromise? Don't photograph for money.

Conflict is almost inevitable as soon as you have a need for income from photography.

Although I have never photographed for money I would have to agree with that. When someone is paying you pretty much have to shoot what they want you to shoot. I would assume thats the way it works.

Being as Im not paid to shoot. I shoot what I want and, dont care what people think.

This has not been a problem for me. In photo-journalism and public relations work, if you get the shot that others missed, or the perfect angle, etc. then no one is going to complain. Sure, there has been the occasional issue with some item in the background but nothing of any importance to the image.

In the area of people photography, as long as the subject is shot in a flattering manner, there are no problems either. Minor "individual" tweaking of an image may be suggested which in most cases should not be an issue for the photographer.

In the area of photos for books, there are a considerable number of design elements, balance, text, and look involved. Photos that stand on their own well, do not necessarily work well in combination with others in a book. Unless, the photographer has a lot of background in design and publishing, then it is understandable that some compromise will be necessary in the photography and photo selection.

skieur

Making money with your camera. Well, that can mean SO MANY different things, some of which would involve compromises, some that would not. This is too vague for me....
I do mostly editorial work, which has its own set of rules and ethics. I also do some advertising/corporate work, different set of rules/requirements altogether. It's apples and oranges here folks.
Then there's strictly personal work, which involves no compromises, but might result in some eventual sales(so still money from the camera).
I will tell you that all of the above situations/types of photography can be incredibly challenging and rewarding to shoot.
Andrew Boyd
TheDiscerningPhotographer.com

Most reactions

Back