Concert Photography Help?

clee27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I'm not exactly doing concert photos BUT it's the same idea, dark room and people performing...but I want to do the best I can! So to get to the point I was reading this article....
http://photo.net/concerts/mirarchi/concer_2.htm

anyone have another article I can read? or hints or tips
also, do you have to have a 2.8 lens or better to shoot?
currently i'm using the 28-135 zoom lens and I don't really have any tips on using that....soooo what should i do just put it on the widest aper which is 3.5 and iso 800 and use the AV function but what about the flash, i noticed it wouldn't fire (fyi i just got it today) YAY!

any help/pointers or links to get me somewhere would be awesome! thanks so much for all the help!

You don't need a 2.8 lens no, however the faster the lens, the better. What I would do is set your camera to shutter priority (Tv in Canon-ese I think) and set it to 1/60 or 1/125, and crank ISO to the highest usable setting (Not really sure what it is for a 10D, but 800 shoud be fine). The reason I suggest shutter-priority vice aperture priority is because in low-light situations you may find that the camera sets the shutter speed below that which you can hand-hold (1/30 is about the absolute minimum unless you're well practiced). Note that 1/125 is really the absolute minimum to stop movement, and if someone is really moving, that may not even be enough. At 1/60 you will still get slight movement, but [hopefully] not enough to worry about.

Good luck.

You don't need a 2.8 lens no, however the faster the lens, the better. What I would do is set your camera to shutter priority (Tv in Canon-ese I think) and set it to 1/60 or 1/125, and crank ISO to the highest usable setting (Not really sure what it is for a 10D, but 800 shoud be fine). The reason I suggest shutter-priority vice aperture priority is because in low-light situations you may find that the camera sets the shutter speed below that which you can hand-hold (1/30 is about the absolute minimum unless you're well practiced). Note that 1/125 is really the absolute minimum to stop movement, and if someone is really moving, that may not even be enough. At 1/60 you will still get slight movement, but [hopefully] not enough to worry about.

Good luck.

thanks so much!

Most reactions

Back