Concert Photos! (C&C welcome!)

lizzys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lizzydavisphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Figure I will go ahead and throw some of my photos out there and see what responses they invoke! ;) I got into concert photography right around a year ago now and here are a few of my favorites I've managed to come up with in that time:

Iron Maiden:
(Got declined for a photo pass, but thought this crowd shot turned out pretty interesting!)
$iron-maiden.jpg

Kayla Reeves, Trans-Siberian Orchestra:
(Another show I got photo pass declined for, but was in the second row using a micro 4/3rds camera that I was able to get in with a 14-54mm f2.8 lens. Little did they know I'd take a photo that a band member would want to use on her business card! ;) )
$kayla-reeves-tso.jpg

Les Hall and Ed Sloan, Crossfade:
$les-hall.jpg$les-eddie-crossfade.jpg

Kaz, Redlight King:
$redlight-king.jpg

Zach Myers, Shinedown:
$zach-myers-shinedown.jpg

ZZ Top:
$zz-top.jpg

Leaving 1st and 2nd...all are nice, as they deserve to be concert photographs....1,2 over exposed.

nice, i must say im a bit jealous... i would LOVE to get some concert shots...

Hey, would you mind me trying an edit of 2 and see what you think? If not, totally fine, I was more curious to see what you'd think of my edit than anything else. Still trying to nail down my editing style for concert photography. Especially big stage productions.

Leaving 1st and 2nd...all are nice, as they deserve to be concert photographs....1,2 over exposed.
Thank you! I definitely agree with you about 1 and 2, but something about fire... :p

nice, i must say im a bit jealous... i would LOVE to get some concert shots...
Give it a shot some time! I can't guarantee you'd get into larger production shows off the bat, but even at smaller venues you can still get some interesting photos -- the two Crossfade photos were both taken at a small venue in my area that doesn't have a whole lot of restrictions on bringing in pro cameras.

Hey, would you mind me trying an edit of 2 and see what you think? If not, totally fine, I was more curious to see what you'd think of my edit than anything else. Still trying to nail down my editing style for concert photography. Especially big stage productions.
Go for it! Like I mentioned up there, that photo was from my old micro 4/3rds camera, and I did a fairly large amount of editing to get it into that condition. Would be interested to see what else you can do to it though.

Here's what I came up with:

not my picture by franklinrabon, on Flickr

I used a curve on the red channel to dial that back a good bit, added some overall contrast, and darkened the background some.

gopal said:

2 isn't overexposed bro.

I used a curve on the red channel to dial that back a good bit, added some overall contrast, and darkened the background some.

I think it was over-exposed, just barely - there's almost no detail or contrast around her face. That edit looks good! I'm torn on whether I think it's a full improvement or not though in honesty, as I kind of liked the red in the background - it made her pop more. I like the black contrast in her clothing better and her skin looks better, as well.

Good stuff Lizzy!
Thank you!

I think it was over-exposed, just barely - there's almost no detail or contrast around her face. That edit looks good! I'm torn on whether I think it's a full improvement or not though in honesty, as I kind of liked the red in the background - it made her pop more. I like the black contrast in her clothing better and her skin looks better, as well.

Good stuff Lizzy!
Thank you!

Yeah, I'm not sure which I liked better either. Part of this was to show the contrast between the two edits. If I was going for the one best edit (if there is one), I probably would have split the difference between the two. Thanks for the comments!

Got a few new ones to add to the collection.

Three Days Grace / Rock Allegiance:
$3dg.jpg

Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch) / Trespass America Festival:
$228523_505376881591_473434207_n.jpg

Rob Zakaryan (Adelitas Way) / Rockstar Uproar
$314235_398348563553939_1067610949_n.jpg

Sully Erna (Godsmack) / Rockstar Uproar
$644370_398650800190382_902501376_n.jpg

Lzzy Hale (Halestorm) / Carnival of Madness
$lzzy.jpg

And my best shot to date taken at Rockstar Uproar from the General Admission crowd pit (who needs photo passes anyway...). Brent Smith and Zach Myers of Shinedown:
$216973_395343520521110_2003697947_n.jpg

I made an impromptu stop at Uproar in Bristow, VA on the way home from Rock Allegiance in Hershey, PA. No time to request a photo pass, but I did manage to get a GA ticket and my camera in. I managed to make my way up to about the second row of people, center stage, by the time Shinedown came on. This shot is the reason why I hate the 3 song rule in the photo pit - because you don't get to catch beautiful moments like this one was. I had my 15 minutes of fame when Shinedown tweeted this photo (with credit to me)... it's received upwards of 500 "likes" on social media sites, and I am not going to lie - I'm quite proud of it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back