Concert wrap up (pic intense)

cameramike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedifilippo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night my buddies band get to play along with many other bands at the ever so famous Stone Pony in Asbury Park NJ (we live about 5 minutes away). All shot with canon XTI w\ tamron 17-50 F\2.8 i LOVE this lens.

First shot is from a show a few nights before, I love how it came out and so do they.
1)
IMG_3411.jpg

same guys at the pony
2)
IMG_3514.jpg

3)
IMG_3536.jpg

4)
IMG_3580.jpg

5)
IMG_3740.jpg

These guys were actually high, and fully admitted to it; they were awesome though
6)
IMG_3860.jpg

7)
IMG_3886.jpg

8)
IMG_3890.jpg

These guys were NOT the main act, but damn close to it; but with everyone rocking along it was tough to get pictures. No they are not catch-22 they are a band called patent pending, once catch 22 came out it was almost impossible to keep a grip on my camera let alone get good shots.
9)
IMG_3948.jpg

10)
IMG_3967.jpg

11)
IMG_4023.jpg

12)
IMG_3955.jpg

I love doing live shots like these, nothing like working with what light your given and it really helps when the techs have fun and play around a lot with them.

What were your settings?? It looks like you could have opened your aperature a lot more in some of these to gather more light in and also isolate the subjects from the background. Some of these are soft from what I gather must have been your low shutter speed (though the first one works of course when it is intentional) I'd say if your going to put your name out there for working on concerts only show your best and those would be only the sharpest, in focus images. Everything else should be tossed. However, if these are just for fun, cool :)

just about everyone was taken at f/2.8; one thing to realize is when shooting live bands it is unlike ANY other type of photography. From the time you frame the shot to the time you hit the shutter button the person you were trying to photograph could be half way across the stage; a large part of it is being able to figure out where the subject will move to, then fire away. Also you have to work with very limited lighting; but that is the beauty of it, the color of the light is a plus, not a minus. Some feel that they need to use flash (which i have in the past) and for some of the time it works but now that i have my faster lens... i wouldn't dare use my flash.

These are my best; i am extremely proud of them especially 7,8,10. Another thing to keep in mind is who you are shooting for; my buddies band i presented them with the photos I know they would love, not because they are framed well or exposed well but because to the avg joe it is appealing.

Dont get me wrong.. some of them are good. Some of them I feel are not. It was just a suggestion from an outsider looking in.. .I know the lighting is tough and its hard photography. But soft images where you didn't nail the focus or are bad because of exposure issues or because you had your shutter too low.. well I just personally wouldn't want my name attached to. Again, JMO. I could counter your argumetn by saying shooting 18 month olds is unlike any other photography in the world.. and it is :) To me, that's harder than anything else!

Also I feel images like specifically 7 and 8 are the worst because of the lighting and exposure issues. Concert photography is TOUGH, but I think you have a good start. There was a good thread around recently about "if the client likes it.." and you could check that out. The client, the average joe, would like about anything you put in front of them . Its up to you as the photographer to know better and rise above...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back