Confused

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm off to Holland for a week, on Thursday and then a London the week after.

I'm looking to rent some lens, but I need to decided on what format, Canon or Nikon.

I'm looking to upgrade my D5000 in the near future but I'm waiting for Nikons April announcement about its DSLR line this year. However there are few good deals on ebay for a D300s that I'm watching at the moment and I might be convinced to buy one. The lens that I'm thinking about renting are as follows
Nikon.jpg

My Canon body is a EOS 40D and I'm thinking about getting this lot

Canon.jpg

Price wise there is not that much difference, so its more of what is the better rent.

Its just something I've got to decide and pretty soon. Been mulling it over for a few weeks now and I've come to a impasse.

I'd rent the 70-200.

Are you a NAPP member and getting the NAPP member LensRental or LensProToGo discount?

Hah, I just noticed where you reside. Carry on.

The two canon lenses you are looking to rent are - difficult beasts.
The MPE65mm is a very difficuly beast to master well, and without a good flash setup you might not get much out of it. It is a fantastic lens for what it does but it only does 1:1 to 5:1 macro - no infinity focus. By all means rend it to play around with, but know what you are getting into as its one of the hardest lenses to learn to just use - mastering it is a whole other world.
The 50mm f1.2 is also fiddly if you open it up all the way - f1.2 is a razor thin depth of field - good for low light and creamy backgrounds, but you need a solid focus otherwise you might miss details out.

Other than that if working with the nikon setup as well its a decent setup for holiday - esp if you get macro time and to be honest not too dissimilar to what I have in the bag at the moment (a long regular macro lens, a 70-200mm f2.8, the mpe and a prime - though mine is a 70mm not the 50mm

ps why not rent the canon 100mm f2.8 IS L if you can - get a taste for a proper 100mm macro lens ;)

Well we will see auction finishes in 1hr 12 minutes. So I might just get lucky.

Thanks I'd thought you would both have something to say.

With one of you being the macro king and the lens jester... :D

Welll?? did you win???
My experince its the last hour of ebay sales where things go rit mad

ps where's the macro king ???

Cheers for the advice!

Last edited:
naw it just makes me a macro addict ;)
now when I get as good as LordV/Dalentech/DoeNoe etc.. then I might start getting a new fancy king hat :)

naw it just makes me a macro addict ;)
now when I get as good as LordV/Dalentech/DoeNoe etc.. then I might start getting a new fancy king hat :)
I don't know those other guys but even though I don't do macro I have seen and been wow'ed by LordV's work.

DoeNoe posts here (or he used to at least not seen him around as much latly) and I think he still has to move to the MPE grounds - but a good solid shooter and one who gave me some good advice;

Dalentech is the bee guy:
No Cropping Zone

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back