Considering new lens for infant/toddler pictures

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm an avid amateur photographer with a D300 and a few lenses (35mm f1.8, 16-85mm f3.5, 70-300mm f4.5). A friend recently came to me and asked if I could take pictures of her newborn son in her house with some props she picked up based on pictures on pinterest.

If this was in a studio where there's a lot of space, I'd think something like an 85mm portrait lens would be nice, but this is in her house, so it's likely to be more confined.

I'm sure I could do a fine job with the 35mm or even the 16-85mm, but much of the photography I do is of people as my subjects, and I thought it was a good time to justify purchasing a nice lens.

I have about $1000 or $1500 to spend, and would like an FX lens, as I intend on upgrading my D300 to a D750 in the next six months (hopefully!).

Thanks for any ideas,
Dave

First figure out how much space that you have
and then test your current lenses

You do, after all have focal lengths from 16 - 300mm, which includes 85mm twice. Or 50mm which has the FOV of an 85 on a crop camera) with your 16-85 lens.

The only thing lacking from your 85mm's is maybe a lower aperture to isolate the subject. But with portraiture you may find f/5.6 more ideal anyways (versus f/2.8 or 1.8 or 1.4) except for more artsy type photos.

remember ( dependent upon the backgrounds, objective, etc) in a studio setting you want space BEHIND your subject too. The more the better. I thought my home studio was okay, until I needed more back space, which then cramped everything up front.

Thanks for the info. I was just thinking there was a better quality lens from what I'm currently using. I'll upload my pictures after the infant photo shoot and ask for comments :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back