What's new

constant f number lenses

hash50

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After 25 years with film cameras, I bought my first digital camera, it being Panasonic Lumix FZ20, with a fantastic lens of constant f2.8 over 36mm to 432mm (35mm eq). I have taken plenty of great photos with it over the last five years (I know everyone feels that they have taken great pictures - but I invariably get asked "what camera do you have" after people see my photos). As a matter of interest, I have been looking at recent cameras, and find that there are hardly any such constant f lenses. I wish Panasonic would resurrect the FZ20 lense with a new sensor.
Would welcome any leads to a modern(!) camera with a great lens like the FZ20.
 
I'd guess that to produce a lens like that, it would simply cost too much for a non-DSLR camera. Back in 2004, most DSLR cameras cost $1000 or more and were still the domain of professionals or serious amateurs. So it still made sense for companies to develop really good 'point & shoot' (non-DSLR) style cameras.

But now, you can buy a DSLR camera, that has interchangeable lenses and a much larger sensor, for $500. The market for high end 'non-DSLR' cameras has almost disappeared.
 
But now, you can buy a DSLR camera, that has interchangeable lenses and a much larger sensor, for $500. The market for high end 'non-DSLR' cameras has almost disappeared.

More so its being replaced with the new Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras; whereby the camera has the size of a typical point and shoot, but retains a DSLR type interface and the interchangeable lenses, with the use of electronic viewfinders as well as LCD screen focusing.
Options would be the Olympus EP/EPL ranges (for which you have to buy an optional electronic viewfinder if you so choose) and the Panasonic G series.
 
I guess you are right about the cost factor BigMike (but then Fuji gets away with charging $1100 for a top end APS compact - so there may be a market for P&S with top quality optics). The other factor is the need to constantly keep updating the cameras to keep up with competition - increased zoom, pixel count, electronic wizardry etc, like cars. At least they have halted the megapixel wars and coming out with good optics - like XZ-1 from Olympus - may be there is hope.

Overread, DSLRs are too bulky and heavy for me these days especially with long zooms. As for the mirrorless cameras, I prefer to look through the viewfinder (need to put on glasses to see the LCD screen every time I need to take a photo), so the Olympus PEN, Sony Nex, and Lumix G are out. Hope my FZ0 lasts a while.
 
There are even optical viewfinders that clip into the flash hotshoe on Micro 4/3 systems. Quite popular with street shooters who can't afford Leica...
 
... At least they have halted the megapixel wars and coming out with good optics - like XZ-1 from Olympus - may be there is hope.

Yes, the XZ-1 looks promising. I'm looking at that and also the Canon S95 and Panny LX5 for my partner. She is not a serious shooter, but if I were to use it, you know.... I want top shelf. :biggrin: Fujifilm is soon to start distribution on the baby brother of the X100, the X10 but prices have not been announced yet to my knowledge. Rumors are in the +$500 to $700 range.

Overread, DSLRs are too bulky and heavy for me these days especially with long zooms. As for the mirrorless cameras, I prefer to look through the viewfinder (need to put on glasses to see the LCD screen every time I need to take a photo), so the Olympus PEN, Sony Nex, and Lumix G are out. Hope my FZ0 lasts a while.
I've recently bought the Oly E-P3 and have the VF-3 electronic viewfinder in my shopping cart. I too miss not having one. The VF-2 is supposedly brighter and a greater magnification but lacks a locking mechanism and is ~$80 more expensive.
 
I've recently bought the Oly E-P3 and have the VF-3 electronic viewfinder in my shopping cart. I too miss not having one. The VF-2 is supposedly brighter and a greater magnification but lacks a locking mechanism and is ~$80 more expensive.

I have exactly that combination and so far like it a great deal.
I did a side by side with a Sony Nex C3 and in a real life comparison the image quality was not any different that I could see.
 
Overread, DSLRs are too bulky and heavy for me these days especially with long zooms. As for the mirrorless cameras, I prefer to look through the viewfinder (need to put on glasses to see the LCD screen every time I need to take a photo), so the Olympus PEN, Sony Nex, and Lumix G are out. Hope my FZ0 lasts a while.

In addition to the points about the Olympus clip on viewfinders the Lumix G come with the viewfinder built in - in fact the shape of them is very similar to your average high end bridge camera.
 
Sorry I meant Lumix GF2, which is the kind I would be looking at, not the G2. G2 does have a view finder, but the weight with a zoom lens is in the DSLR class. As far clip-on viewfinders, I find it hard to pay $250 for the privilege (and not being able to use the flash at the same time), good as they may be.
 
micro 43 zooms are smaller and lighter than DSLR zooms when equiv fov is accounted for

390400102.jpg

397178536.jpg


EVF of the panny G and Olympus VF2 are more than adequate for my needs to manually focus adapted lenses. IT is surprisingly good and well worth the price. The EVF on the gf2 is horrible. IMO tje vf3 is a compromise on price but is intended for those that like eye level holding with reliance on native AF .

Price was never the point of the micro mirrorless.... features and size. The biggest feature being the quality of a larger sensor than most bridge cameras and interchangeable lenses. IMO, the bridge cameras no longer bring a strong value proposition to the table.


The main problem withwhat the OP is looking for is that the market for such a bridge camera with the optics described is next to nill. The type of consumer looking at bridge cameras are more interested in other things such as range of zoom size and automation.... at a relatively low price. Once you increase the price high enough to cover the cost of the optics, the consumer will either go DSLR or lower end PS.

One camera used to exist that came very close. The Leica digilux 2 and the panny cousin. I have never seen another PS camera that came close in optical quality.... but it came at a very high price tag AND limited zoom range which makes it a niche camera.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom