Contest Photos - need help choosing.

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At the beginning of the year, I made a list of photographic goals for 2014. One of those goals was to enter the County photo contest. I can enter up to 3 photos. They all have to have been taken within the county, be in landscape format and be 8x10 matted. I have put together a flicker album with the contenders for the 3 entrants. A couple will have to be re-cropped, but I think you will get the idea.

Would you please look at this album and let me know which three you would choose? PLEASE & THANK YOU!!!

Also, any C&C is welcome. I would really like to be one of the months for the county calendar.

FYI: most people submit landscapes and wildlife photos and almost everyone submits color. I am thinking about mixing that up and submitting something either non nature or black and white.

I'm partial to the Chevelle headlights and the shifter. I think it's more of an emotional appeal, but the shifter is a fantastic shot in its own right. Including the gauges in the background gives the impression of a modified performance car, and thus, it tells a story. The Chevelle headlights, I can't really explain, I just like it.

I am really partial to the shifter as well, and I think it is in the top 3. Thanks for the input.

Here's the real question: What are most of the winners? If 99% of the winning images are colour landscapes, then that should tell you something. With respect to your gallery; I like both images of the pair of horses ('though I think a little further post-processing is in order), and I like the image of UP 4014, but I don't see it as a contest winner. I do think however that it's worth revisiting for another go.

I'll be honest, both times I have been able to see all of the entrants, there hasn't been a single image that wasn't nature based, so naturally all of the winners have been nature based as well. I really don't remember seeing any black and white images in the contest either. Some of the winning images have been horribly over processed HDR landscapes or wildlife in mid day sun. One of the judges is a portrait photographer from the next county over, and I don't really know anything about who the other judges are or what they value. I do know that a portrait or human subject has never won, but that isn't a problem for me since I'm not considering that genre.

I will probably make one of my entries a nature based photo but I really do want to enter something that will stand out from the crowd as well.

John, can you elaborate your c&c for the horse pictures? I'm to a point with them that I have looked at them for too long to see anything better/different.

Thanks--

...John, can you elaborate your c&c for the horse pictures? I'm to a point with them that I have looked at them for too long to see anything better/different. Thanks--
(Bear in mind that I'm looking at Flickr images on a cheap monitor) The two horse images seem to lack 'punch'; I think some careful selective saturation increases, maybe a slight overall exposure increase...

Horses nuzzling: cherry blossoms; Joe's Bar & Liquor. An alternate might be the very first horse pair shot.

The headlights is a no-go due to to much close-up OOF...people dislike OOF on near objects; the shifter is neat, but the background is weak. The old train is a distinct possibility, but it looked kind of soft and weird.

I feel the first two horse photos are your best bet. Requires some serious pp and some cropping ... Might consider turning first horse pic into monochrome. It's a county competition so I'll presume the judges want to see something peculiar or that describes the characteristics of your county.

affection, flower, bar

Y'all have definitely given me some things to consider and work on. By and large, it seems that at least one horse photo has to make it in. I don't want to enter both of them because I don't want them competing against each other. I can enter 3 and can potentially have all 3 be put into the calendar. As I look over the calendar from last year's contest, I'm not super impressed with the photos. SO.... I hope that means I have a real chance to win at least one spot out of 24.

I would love to find out who the judges will be. I know it won't be local people, they always ask someone from a neighboring county or state.

I may enter the shifter into another contest at the fair specifically for automotive. Stay tuned in, I will probably put re-edits up for C&C later.

for me; Affection,cherry blossoms,Into the Wild

Horses nuzzling, flowers and headlights are my favs.

Most reactions

Back