Controlling Built in flash with wireless SB900

spinxy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

when using the SB900 wirelessly my built in flash on the nikon D200 always over powers the SB900, how do i controll this?
are their controls on the camera, or is there some sort of diffuser i need to use on my camera flash.
or would it just be best to buy a seperate wireless trigger.

also can someone suggest an unbrella stand which the SB900 will connect to.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure your Nikon has "Commander" mode.

Learn it, Use it.

From what you've said, it would appear that you're using the 900 as a slave and the built-in as your primary. Which effectively means you have little or no control over either.

go into commander mode on the camera and turn the popup flash mode to "--".. better off not using it at all IMO. I'm guessing you know you can control the power of the SB from there, too.

go into commander mode on the camera and turn the popup flash mode to "--".. better off not using it at all IMO. I'm guessing you know you can control the power of the SB from there, too.

That totally depends on what he wants. Does he want no input from the on camera flash, use it as a fill or use it as the key light?

Different settings for any of the 3 I listed above.

thanks everyone this threads been a massive help,

it was already set to commander but built in was set to M
aftr a little bit of fiddling around after reading this i have got the hang of controlling the built in flash.

so wish i knew this 2 weeks ago!!!

Just in case you were wondering:

M was for controlling the built-in light manually.
TTL was for automated power level control of the built-in light
-- was for triggering other remote flashes without the built-in light adding to the scene
AA was for Auto Aperture, only available for the SB-800/900, not the built-in flash nor a SB-600 or SB-200.

Most reactions

Back