Convention Photography Pointers? please.

percent20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
buddylindsey.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To preface this all I am still new at photography. I halfway understand ISO, Fstop and shutters speed. It all makes "sense" but am still lacking on knowing what settings turn out what. Am using a film slr so no real immediate feedback.

I am going to a convention this weekend what are some tips you can offer for taking pictures to get good shots, or even start down the path. I don't expect to walk away with professional pictures at all. But would like to at least get a few decent ones.

Thanks

So you are well on your way to understanding the technical aspects of photography... but you've forgotten the other half..

That photography is an art form. Why are some photos special and others bland? That's a question you should be asking yourself.

Think in terms of creativity.

How do you place objects within a frame? Composition? Shapes? Color? Texture? etc...

Go out and experiment.. ask you why this worked and this didn't? Don't get yourself hung up on the technical aspects too much. You can be creative and expand artistically with a cheap digital P&S or a disposable camera.

Conquering the technical aspects comes before the art.
Before doing a job like this, you really should have a good understanding of exposure settings for your camera, flash, film, surroundings, etc. If you have a day or two before the job, do shoot in a setting as nearly like where the convention will be. Use the same film, try different apertures, ranges, flash settings, etc. Make notes on what you did. Then take to a quickly developer, like Wal-Mart and compare results with your notes. It is a learning curve. Your settings should be intuitive. IMHO, that should come well before taking a paying job.
Would you hire someone to do a job, of any kind, who is not prepared?

what are some tips you can offer for taking pictures to get good shots, or even start down the path
find what you want to shoot and shoot it. Experiment.
If you want to have fun and see what happens shoot at manual, Aperture or shutter priority. If you aren't 100% comfortable, shoot at program mode. but SHOOT and enjoy flavor of film

IMHO, that should come well before taking a paying job.
Would you hire someone to do a job, of any kind, who is not prepared?

Rifleman.. I think you misread something... he's not taking on a job

OP also said:
I don't expect to walk away with professional pictures at all.

OP also mentioned a basic understanding of the technicals behind taking a photo. Basically he/she is asking "where do I go next to improve?" I also disagree that technicals come before....... Yes.. if your intent is to take a photo. No... if your intent is to develop skills as what many of us would consider photography (which is a study of form).

To preface this all I am still new at photography. I halfway understand ISO, Fstop and shutters speed. It all makes "sense" but am still lacking on knowing what settings turn out what. Am using a film slr so no real immediate feedback.

I am going to a convention this weekend what are some tips you can offer for taking pictures to get good shots, or even start down the path. I don't expect to walk away with professional pictures at all. But would like to at least get a few decent ones.

Thanks
What films and filters will you be taking with you?

Thanks for all the great replies. It is leaving me with something's to think about :)

As for I am taking some 200 kodak and some cheap walmart 400 that we had lieing around. I have about 10 rolls of film waiting to be used, and walmart right next door.

Not really sure about filters, not to sure what they are, I have a polarized lense cover I am taking for any outdoor stuff.

Lens wise I am still learning about that. I am using my dads old SLR stuff he hasn't used in years from my recolection of what he has said I have a 35" 18"-200" and a fish eye lens. I stick with what is on there i guess the 35" mm one.

I have worked with composition with my p&s so am working on more technical aspects with of SLR but not sure about composition with slr. My p&s shoots with a 200 iso and a 2.8 f/stop and I can't change that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back