Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

So when I create HDR images I usually convert my raw images to TIFFs, and then use those to create the HDRs.

The problem I'm having is what resolution should I convert my raw images to? Usually I say 1200 pixels / inch to be on the safe side, but that creates HUGE images. But I'd like to be able to print up my HDR images at the same quality as if they were the original raw images.

Can anyone offer some advice on what size / format to store images in when I'm post processing?

Thanks,

Dan

This is not important. PPI is a setting that is adjusted at print time only. You can set it to 2, or to 2400, regardless of the fact the actual resolution of the TIFF files should remain identical. Then when you go to print you specify the size like 6x4 and then the printer driver or photoshop will automatically convert this to for example 645PPI if you are printing a 10megapixel file.

leave the resolution as it comes from the camera... and as stated by garbz, printing resolution (dpi), or display resolution (ppi) is just a number, it does not say anything about the pixel x pixel resolution of an image. And only the latter counts for your digital file.

If your files get very large when you set them to 1200 pixel / inch, then you probably keep the dimensions of the image constant (a inch x b inch) and hence increase the pixel x pixel dramatically. However, this will be done "interpolating" creating many pixels from which used to be one pixel, but of course you do not gain more real resolution from this since you cannot create more information than you originally recorded with the sensor.

can't you just create the HDR's in RAW?

*FACEPALM*

NO. NO YOU CAN'T! How are you supposed to create HIGH Dynamic Range from an image with just plain old lack of dynamic range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back