converting to black and white

quad b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi everybody.
i know there's a few different methods of converting to black and white in photoshop, so i was wondering how everyone here does it. care to share your secrets?
desaturation is what i use but it gives pretty crappy results. i've seen some nice b/w conversions out there and was wondering how they were done.

I go through fazes. I've found "Wally's B&W Action Set 2" is the one I always come back to. Recently I've been using the 'Photo filter' method. This is where you make a "hue/Saturation" adjustment layer set to -100% master saturation and then go to "image>adjustments>photo filter set the Desnsity to 100% and just flick throught the filters and pick the one that has the desired effect. You can fine tune it by adjusting the Density slider and masking off areas and repeating with different filters etc.

I think doenoe is still host Wally's action:

doenoe said:
Try the search function, there's been lots of talk about it.

My conversion is kinda Kevin Kubota and Scott Kelby.

The B&W conversion I have been using is:
Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Gradient Map>OK
Then:
Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Channel Mixer-set to monochrome
set contrast to -8 and Red to 80%, then increase blue and green till it looks good. Press ok. Then, Layer>Flatten Image. Try on one and see how it looks.

KevinR said:
My conversion is kinda Kevin Kubota and Scott Kelby.

The B&W conversion I have been using is:
Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Gradient Map>OK
Then:
Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Channel Mixer-set to monochrome
set contrast to -8 and Red to 80%, then increase blue and green till it looks good. Press ok. Then, Layer>Flatten Image. Try on one and see how it looks.

*runs off excitedly to try it right now*

i just use the black and white gradiant map and set it to color...i will prolly try some of these out on the next photo i try to convert! thanks!

chris82 said:
the channel mixer i find,gives the best results.
Bring up your image in Photoshop...
In Layers palette drag background down to icon next to the trash can
and create a duplicate...
Next click on the icon at the bottom of the palette that looks like a
Korean flag (third from right)... When tab pops up select Channel Mixer
(Creating a new layer)... In Channel Mixer dialog box (place a check) in the lower left corner... “Monochrome”... Then under Source Channels...
Adjust the RED to 70%... Adjust the GREEN to 30%... BLUE 0%
That should give you a decent B/W...
Of course adjust percentages to your liking...

Sometimes i change the channels to lab colour and use the lightness channel then convert to greyscale then adjust curves to your liking.
If you look at your channels pallet in rgb you can see what colour channel gives the best look to your picture then adjust the mixer with this in mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back