Cooking

loopy

Brave little froggy...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tomorrow night I would like to cook a meal for my guy.

The only problem is, I can't cook. I really can't cook. I botch kraft dinner for goodness sake.

Anyone have any good recipes that are easy and idiot-proof?

Thanks!

Loopy

oh yeah...salads are nice...put warm bits of chicken in them or egg or ham...

Buy like a ceasar salad kit....all you need to add is lettuce and anchovies if you want them.

loopy said:
What on earth is a crock pot? :S :S :S

You really are in trouble aren't you? :lmao: A crock pot is a pot that you plug in on your counter top that slow cooks things. You could put on ribs or a pot roast or something on at 7AM and have it finish just as you walk in the door at 5PM. Quite convenient really.

Crack pipes are more fun. ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=crock pot
http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpot.html

Cooking is easy. You just have to keep an eye on what you're doing. Take your time with whatever you do and do as much preparation as you can. So get all the chopping done at once before you start cooking (put it all in individual bags if you have to). That way you will only have your mind on adding the ingredients when needed and making sure everything is working together, rather than rushing about getting lost and frustrated. :mrgreen:

And it doesn't matter if you fudge it all because you cooked it for him. You can have a good laugh about it as you order the take-away. :)

Speaking of cooking. I'm going to list some things I have recently purchased. Tell me if i'm missing anything...

Frying Pan
Medium Size Pot
Baking Tray
Strainer
Utensils (Plastic spoon, spatula, mixing thing)
Cheese Grater

I basically would like to have a fully functional kitchen. But my kitchen is tiny so I can't go all out on the big stuff.

I know i'm missing a spice rack, but my Dad's girlfriend is hopefully gonna grab one from Costco for $20?

Speaking of cooking. I'm going to list some things I have recently purchased. Tell me if i'm missing anything...
Good knives. A must.
Cutting board
some kind of baking dish
mixing bowls

As for the original question. A soup is one of the easiest and tastiest to do. Go get a good bread and you are set. If your interested I can give you a recipe or two.

See. I really do need this board.

bace said:

Frying Pan
Medium Size Pot
Baking Tray
Strainer
Utensils (Plastic spoon, spatula, mixing thing)
Cheese Grater

I basically would like to have a fully functional kitchen. But my kitchen is tiny so I can't go all out on the big stuff.

I know i'm missing a spice rack, but my Dad's girlfriend is hopefully gonna grab one from Costco for $20?

^
|
|
thread hijack.

anyways...anything with chicken is usually pretty fool proof, so you cant go wrong there. if you are really concerned with messing it up, then go for something like hamburgers.

I can't cook, or rather, I don't like to cook :mrgreen: Does he like to cook? It can be fun to make something together :D

Pasta is my go-to dish when I can't think of anything else. You can boil water, right? ;) I mean, a LOT of water in the largest pot you have.

Buy an 8-oz. box of penne pasta and cook according to directions. Watch the water and stir it while boiling. Have the colander handy (Bace if you like pasta, you need a colander, dude)

But before you cook the pasta, do the following:

*mince a little fresh garlice. Into large skillet with tall sides, pour a couple tablespoons cold-pressed virgin olive oil and on LOW heat, cook the garlic just a couple of minutes. Add 2 15-oz. cans of PLAIN tomato sauce, keep the heat low for now. Add chopped fresh herbs: torn basil leaves, Italian parsley, oregano, thyme - about a good half cup combined, okay? Dump it all into the sauce/garlic mixture and stir. Increase the heat until you see bubbles breaking, then cover the skillet and reduce the heat. Start to bring the pasta water to a boil while you let the sauce simmer. Check the sauce and stir occasionally, reduce the heat even more if it's bubbling too much. You don't want it to stick to the bottom of the skillet.

Once you've boiled and drained the penne, put it into 2 large bowls or plates. Ladle the sauce over it. Have freshly grated parmesan cheese ready (buy a block and hand grate it - takes 5 minutes and the flavor is superior). Once you've dusted the top of the sauce with the cheese, grind black pepper over the cheese.

Serve with a simple green salad (Boston leaf lettuce and chopped fresh tomatoes and a bit of green onion, make this ahead of time and have it ready in the fridge) and a hot loaf of crusty Italian bread. Add a bottle of chianti if you guys like red wine.

He will be your slave. :twisted: :lol:

Simple Sicilian citrus salad:

4-5 Valencia oranges, peeled and sliced
1 bunch green onion, diced (use the white part)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup nuts (any nut will do), diced
salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all of the above in a large bowl, refrigerate for 2 hours. Enjoy.

Most reactions

Back