Cool! I think i just got screwed:)

TheLostNome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So after poking around here a bit i was led to the web site: www.resellerratings.com and checked on the company i just ordered a Canon 30D from. I bought it from Stop4camera.com . I read reviews that described my exact experience. I call in to confirm my order and some rude salesman pushes all kinds of accessories on me. I'm really new to photography so i didn't know much about the accessories and normal pricings on them. I haggled with the guy till it sounded like i was getting a great deal but in the end i dropped about $1500 on it and it probably has a crap lens... This is what i bought http://www.stop4camera.com/shop/Product.asp?ProdTypeList=2050&Sku=30dk and i got the advanced kit and some other things.

I also bought a five year warranty on it. Does anyone know anything about Consumer Priority Service? That is the company that does the warranty. http://www.cpscentral.com/terms.pdf That is there terms page, and it sounds like if i damage the camera it is not covered, which is the whole reason i bought it in the first place.

I guess it serves me right for being a dumbass and not better educating myself prior to making a large purchase. And i suppose at this point there isn't much i can do since it has already been shipped.

But does anybody have any advice, or things i should check on the camera when i get it, in terms of damage or malfunctions?

Lesson learned never buy from those selers who have prices drastically lower than reputable stores, If a body is 1000 and they are selling it for 600 there a reason or catch. Calumet, BH, adorama, a local brick and mortar store are good options. Shady NY based internet companies are not good, not much you can do now, your camera will be fine quality but your just not going to pay the advertised price, its a classic bait and switch. If your a lawyer you could pursue them but if not legal fees would cost more than a D2x .

There should be a contract or terms of agreement, something like that. I would immediately read it thoroughly. If it differs from what the salesman relayed to you, balk...immediately, feverishly and incessantly.

Don't even bother to open the box when it arrives, call them for an RMA number and send the stuff back straight away. If they won't refund your money and you used a credit card just dispute the charge.

Also, note from their site:

"STOP4CAMERA reserves the right to charge a 15% cancellation fee for orders that have been confirmed and processed. Insurance and handling charges. Most orders are subject to a mandatory insurance and handling fee which is up to 6.9% depending on the value of the merchandise."

That paragraph right there would have been enough to turn me away not to mention the companies name, "Stop4Camera". :thumbdown:

Some states actually have laws which protect you. Some are found under "buyers remorse" and you can back out within X days, if the item costs more than a set minimum.

Hopefully you paid with a credit card, because at least you can return it and dispute the charges.

Jeez, these guys are bad. Restocking/cancellation charges that are outrageous and then almost a 7% handling charge.

You might check the price at B&H and see if it's going to cost you more to pay the fees to return it and get the same thing from B&H. Otherwise, you might just bite the bullet and enjoy your overpriced camera.

Please take this in the tone it's meant, which is not "I told you so" or something nasty... You should have come here first, not after it was too late, because you would have gotten an earful about these sleeze bags.

Maybe someone else will read your message and be saved from the same fate.

At least when you start shooting, you know to come back and ask questions. I think you'll find TPF quite useful and friendly.

Now call your state attorney generals office or email, because you may only have 7 days to bail on this contract and get your money back.

Good Luck.

Hopefully you paid with a credit card, because at least you can return it and dispute the charges.

I'd go with that tactic.

ETA - you can open the main box to look at the invoice, but don't open up the camera box or destroy any packaging.

what does everyone thing of DIgitalCorp has anyone heard of that? Its through ebay and I found what seems to be a good deal with a canon xti and a nice big kit for 1000 that comes with all kinds of accessories? PS from what I have see you did get screwed.... I was going to buy from a few different companies on line that were "GRAY market cameras" I didn't know they were "gray market" will I called them... I am more careful about what I look for now... But I don't wanna get screwed.

I know Jon, The Elder. I got wrote that thread and then found this one so thought I would shot for both. Alittle repeative... sorry. Honestly I feel kinda dumb even asking about that kit... I knew it didn't look right... I'm going to buy piece by piece instead of the package crap on ebay. I have been searching all day on the forums and the canon website and google looking at research for what I want to do.

Well as they say if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

In my opinion, if you're going to spend over £200 ($400), you've just GOTTA buy it direct from a shop. Even if you're buying from a reputable shop, there's always a small chance that the camera got damaged by the postal service, or something's missing, etc.

And, of course, if you get it from a person, they can give you advice on how to use it and look after it (well, most of the time, at least).

I'm sorry you had such a nasty experience with stop4cameras.com, and I hope you've managed to get a half-decent refund.

I know there are some reputable companies out there but I'm still impartial to the local brick and mortar myself. I don't like waiting for something to find out that Fedex or UPS kicked it all the way here and it isn't working :D or that I could've gotten all my equipment locally for around the same price or less. Also when I purchase locally and then have a question I can ask the person who sold it to me. That's why I don't go to Target, Best Buy, etc. to get my equipment. I prefer buying photography equipment from someone who's actually a camera expert and not an XBox 360 fanatic, if you know what I mean.

Right about now I am glad I have a fondness for the older cameras, judging by the responces this happens somewhat frequently. Knowing my luck I prolly would have been sucked in to something of that nature as well.

You may have gotten screwed this time, but it's a lesson learned, sometimes the lesson is more important. I'd try what kundalini said and read the tearms carefully followed up by what RacePhoto said and get ahold of an attorney and try to bail out.

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't know, i think i'm just going to keep it (assuming it works). I have been waiting so long to get it i hate to think of all the hassle i am going to have to deal with returning it. I only paid $100 more than i would have had i bought it from the camera shop near where I live and i got more accesories than they would have given me. I should be getting it today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back