Cooper's Hawk

Ariadne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
2409CoopBath010HELIOtpf.jpg

Canon D60, Sigma 170-500mm lens @ 300mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/180sec
PS7: levels, curves, sharpen, resize, USM
Heliopan Noise Filter @30%

This family of hawks has been visiting my birdbath regularly for about 1-1/2 years. The bath is about 20 or so feet from my window, where I have the D60 set up on a tripod with the Sigma 170-500mm lens

Very nice sharpness & DOF. Great capture.

Thank you, Mike.

Thanks, Matt. I have the Canon 100-400L which I use on my 1D. But I carry that one around a lot. I have the D60 pretty much permanently set up with the Sigma on it to catch birds anytime I happen to see them in the garden, no matter what else I may be doing around the house. So when the hawks appear, I don't have to run, fumble, etc. I just step behind the tripod, focus and shoot. And these are shot through a glass picture window (doesn't open).

I wish it could have been a bit more crisp. But you were shooting through a window so this is very acceptable.

Hmm. This isnt the crit forum is it?! :p Oh well, I will leave it for you anyway.

This shot is wonderful in many ways. Just the candidness of it. Good job!

Good picture. I sure appreaciate a clean picture of wild life....they are so hard to get. The eyes on those hawks are spooky

Ariadne said:
This family of hawks has been visiting my birdbath regularly for about 1-1/2 years. The bath is about 20 or so feet from my window, where I have the D60 set up on a tripod with the Sigma 70-500mm lens

Very nice shot but I have a question on the lens; is that a 70-300 or a 170-500?

mrsid99 said:
Ariadne said:
This family of hawks has been visiting my birdbath regularly for about 1-1/2 years. The bath is about 20 or so feet from my window, where I have the D60 set up on a tripod with the Sigma 70-500mm lens

Very nice shot but I have a question on the lens; is that a 70-300 or a 170-500?

Sorry, that's the Sigma 170-500mm lens. I also own the Canon 75-300mm IS USM. Afraid I got confused when typing. I fixed it in the post--thanks for pointing that out. Thanks for your kind comment, too.

Thanks everybody for your kind comments. Makes me feel welcome. :D

Most reactions

Back