Corel's PSP Pro Photo X2/Canon 40D RAW fail.

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is yet another example of a "cheaper is not necessarily better, it's just...cheaper" lesson I learned while restarting my photography business.

I bought PSP Pro Photo X2 back in April without properly researching it's RAW camera support capabilities. I wasn't too worried about it, since I forgot to check the "don't spam my mail server with sales mail" button and received plenty of news stating "...RAW support for new cameras is being added all the time..."

I emailed them and asked when, but got this response:

"Dear XXX
Thank you very much for your e-mail.
We can't disclose that information. The support for this RAW file maybe
available for future upgrade or the next version.
Kind regards ,
George
Corel Customer Support"

Wait. "Next Version?"

I wrote back in April, specifying I would not keep the product unless it supported my camera. I got this response:

"Dear XXX,
Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support Services .
Kindly be informed that there is no information yet on the release date of a
Service Pack for Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 that will offer support to other
unsupported Camera Raw Files .
T hank you for your patience regarding this matter.
Regards ,
N . Duay
Corel Customer Support Services."

That's better. Service pack. I was patient. Meanwhile, I used Bibble and Raw Therapee for EAW work and conversion.

I went to the site last week to follow up (patience has it's limits). Turns out there isn't a version change ended: I have to UPGRADE to a new product called "PSP Pro Photo X2 Ultimate" in order to get RAW support for my 40D.

Grr. Usually you have to spend a few quality hours with a guy in a bad seersucker suit suit on a used car lot to get flipped like that. My fault? Probably. You get what you pay for, and I assumed that their spam claiming there was new RAW support coming meant the 40D, not exactly a sales slouch.

I am disgusted. It was a very good product which suited my needs, but why bother? Photoshop Elements is twice as good for roughly the same price, and given I feel the sting of bait-and-switch sales tactics, I figure who needs it?

Meanwhile, Corel has completely ignored my requests for a refund. Don't think THAT'S gonna happen. Consumerist, here I come.

So there it is. I vented. 40D shooters, beware. All shooters, do your homework. PS Elements, here comes my credit card number.

Last edited:
Have you considered a 'RAW workflow' software? Adobe Lightroom is one but there are others.

This way, you can do much of the editing to your raw files quickly and efficiently, then output the files to a format that you can use in PSP or whatever program you like.

Hi Mike,

Yep, thought about it, but I got sidetracked into using Bibble and RawTherapee - a couple of Lightroom knockoffs. I was pretty stunned at them both. Bibble is kinda affordable ($129, I think?) and it's utterly amazing. Raw Therapee, while not amazing, is fast, easy, and (get this) free. I read about them on another board. Some of the folks there gave up Lightroom for Bibble, stating it was too awesome, plus a lot of people liked the Linux capabilities.

Honestly, though, I haven't tried Lightroom yet. I need to download the demo and drive it for a bit before I make a permanent choice. Until then, Raw Therapee is my main RAW tool (had 3 lockups over the weekend, though...hmm), and PSP Pro Photo X2 has already been deinstalled.

I use RawShooter Essentials, which was a free program but Adobe bought them out when they were developing Lightroom...so when I upgrade my cameras, I'll no longer be able to use RSE.

Canon shoots in DNG? I have X2 as well, and I shoot in PEF (pentax) and X2 works perfect with it. Tried to use DNG, nothing.

RD

Most reactions

Back