Correcting white balance when using strobes

KrisHunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I tried a few shots against a white wall the other day using a 580EXII and an AB800. The white balance on the camera was set to 7000K, but all the pictures had a blue cast. I tried setting a custom white balance based on the overexposed white wall by itself, but that made the pictures extremely magenta. I was shooting in RAW, so the blue cast was an easy fix, but is there a way to fix this in the first place? I suspect the answer involves flash gels, but I wanted the advice of someone experienced before I spend the money.

Set the camera to daylight.

The Flashtube
Each AlienBees™ Flash Unit arrives with our single-ring, daylight-balanced flashtube. All models use a 14mm tube. This user-replaceable tube offers 250,000+ flashes, with inexpensive replacements available. The flashtubes used in AlienBees™ units are daylight-balanced at 5600ºK, providing accurate color rendition.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
does your camera have a PRE mode for WB? I know mine does and I have a white card I use to set it with my alien bees.

I don't always remember to, however but when I do it's super easy. hold it in the light, make the right settings and take a photo of the card and it sets the white balance for me.

it even does a good job of countering my weird room + strobe lighting

I don't honestly remember if I used the pre mode on this but it looks pretty good. it would have been in auto mode with two alien bees and the incandescent lights too if I didn't
DSX_1660 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Your Bees are "pre" set to 5600K. I can't say the same for your Canon flash. I'm sure its somewhere close to that though.

When shooting with my AB800's, I set my WB to 5600K. Normally its pretty spot on, the only way to really get a perfect white balance is to get a grey card or a white balance card like an ExpoDisc. I personally use the ProDiskII.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back