Corrupted SD card

JoanneD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

The other day my SD card became corrupted. I had backed up all but about the 10-15 photos I took last. I found a free software called recuva from piriform and downloaded it. I had it do a deep scan of the drive and it pulled up ALL the images on the SD card. I was able to recover the ones I wanted in minutes.

Recuva - Download

I was also surprised to find that if you don’t reformat your card, erased images suddenly reappear when you do a deep scan of the drive. It concerned me enough that I downloaded SD card formatter and reformatted ALL my SD cards. I put the setting to overwrite and all the images were gone. I highly recommend this! It’s the first time in years that I had a card become corrupt on me.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Hope this information helps!

Thanks,
Joanne

I use MediaRecover to keep all of my cards in good shape, but I also just downloaded Recuva on the recommendation of one of the guys here. I am working on a hard drive for a friend where she needs to recover only one folder that is damaged... That is the great thing about recuva-you can work on one folder like that!
HOWEVER... it's saying it will take somewhere between 2 and 32 days depending on the moment... We shall see what comes of it!

Be sure you reformat your memory card in the camera after each upload to your computer. However, be sure and verify the integrity of your uploaded images before you format the card in the camera.

You should upload to your computer each shooting day. If you only have one card you may want to upload more than once a day.

I favored using multiple smaller capacity cards over a single, or even a couple of, large capacity cards. For 12.3 MP still cameras I didn't use larger than 4 GB cards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back