Photos NOT OK to edit
D850
f/6.3
ISO 200
1/500 Sec.
105 mm - f/2.8G

(Processed In LR & PS)

20200726-untitled-17-Edit.jpg

Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Cheers,

Enezdez

Well, it's certainly bright. Not really to my taste but if you achieved what you wanted then job done. It would make a good abstract print I think.

Last edited:
@Space Face I certainly did & thanks, It's color photography after all........ lol

Oversaturation in the reds I think. I am not a big fan.

I think you could attain a good look with this photo with the colors tuned down a little bit. The image is interesting enough without the over-saturation. Assuming this is an actual photo and not digital art? Honestly it’s hard to tell

Whether the intent of the OP or not, I believe, this falls under "Abstract Realism In Landscape", a movement that gained ground after the invention of the camera, as artists experimented with depicting feelings and concepts in their works. The choice of compositional angles and the editing process creates a new image or piece of art out of a real life image, "abstracting reality". One feature prominent throughout the movement is the use of bold, bright, and sometimes highly saturated colors. Google it and you'll find all sorts of examples and information, its actually an interesting concept.

It's not surprising that this type of work might not appeal to the more purist photographer, as there's a tendency to be a knee jerk reaction to overstaturation, possibly because of the combination of bright, bold, colors. In contrast, I've noticed that seldom are soft dreamy flower photos criticized for their lack of focus. Doesn't make any opinion right or wrong it just shows that differences will always exist between the viewer and the artist where creativity is concerned.

I appreciate the image for what it is and applaud the OP for stepping outside the box to create something different, not just another boring flower shot.

Last edited:
To me it seems to have a melting effect, as if it's dying from the sun.

Whether the intent of the OP or not, I believe, this falls under "Abstract Realism In Landscape", a movement that gained ground after the invention of the camera, as artists experimented with....

I think this is a very well-thought-out post. I’m not sure I agree with all of it, but well- intentioned for sure. I don’t see how this could be an form of landscape photo. Abstract realism, yes certainly.

Another note: there was no indication by the OP that the intention of this was any form of abstraction or fine art photograph. I believe the comments were dealing with the photo assuming the intent of the photographer was to create a more realistic photo. There used to be a separate category in the galleries for art photography (I think) so this sort of confusion wouldn’t happen.

the only indication that the color choice was intentional is that they are shooting with a D850, and anyone with a D850 will most likely know what genre of image they are creating (something I didn’t notice until now)

Last edited:
Whether the intent of the OP or not, I believe, this falls under "Abstract Realism In Landscape", a movement that gained ground after the invention of the camera, as artists experimented with....

I think this is a very well-thought-out post. I’m not sure I agree with all of it, but well- intentioned for sure. I don’t see how this could be an form of landscape photo. Abstract realism, yes certainly.

Another note: there was no indication by the OP that the intention of this was any form of abstraction or fine art photograph. I believe the comments were dealing with the photo assuming the intent of the photographer was to create a more realistic photo. There used to be a separate category in the galleries for art photography (I think) so this sort of confusion wouldn’t happen.

the only indication that the color choice was intentional is that they are shooting with a D850, and anyone with a D850 will most likely know what genre of image they are creating (something I didn’t notice until now)

The forum does in fact have A thread devoted to abstract and many other specific subcategories and Photo Themes. Though I'll admit to being lazy when posting and not taking the time to search out the slightly hidden subcategory. At the risk of being drawn into a "Straw Man" argument, in this case I don't think most had any trouble determining that the image was plant based, and abstract.

While the OP posted in the General Gallery, which is automatically assumed to be a place where critique is wanted, and even added that request to his post, it's important to try to understand the image and to offer critique germane to the subject. Generally there are clues to guide you, like the OP has been a member for over five years, or as you mentioned the equipment. In the 2nd post, another member wrote " if you achieved what you wanted then job done", to which the OP wrote "I certainly did". With opinions especially on artistic expression there is no right or wrong on what we like, this would be a dull world if everyone liked the same thing, but at the same time it's important to respect the photographer's choices when they are intentional. I think few would argue that critique should always be structured to improve the vision of the one presenting the image, and be cautious of inserting our own vision.

The forum does in fact have A thread devoted to abstract and many other specific subcategories and Photo Themes. Though I'll admit to being lazy when posting and not taking the time to search out the slightly hidden subcategory. At the risk of being drawn into a "Straw Man" argument, in this case I don't think most had any trouble determining that the image was plant based, and abstract.

While the OP posted in the General Gallery, which is automatically assumed to be a place where critique is wanted, and even added that request to his post, it's important to try to understand the image and to offer critique germane to the subject. Generally there are clues to guide you, like the OP has been a member for over five years, or as you mentioned the equipment. In the 2nd post, another member wrote " if you achieved what you wanted then job done", to which the OP wrote "I certainly did". With opinions especially on artistic expression there is no right or wrong on what we like, this would be a dull world if everyone liked the same thing, but at the same time it's important to respect the photographer's choices when they are intentional. I think few would argue that critique should always be structured to improve the vision of the one presenting the image, and be cautious of inserting our own vision.

Well said. Although I feel critique is fine for actual "photographic errors" I don't think there should be critique on a persons personal preference and I see that a lot, to the point it's aggravating.

Personally I really enjoy this type of photograph. I’ll take an abstract over a literal photo any day!

Well said. Although I feel critique is fine for actual "photographic errors" I don't think there should be critique on a persons personal preference and I see that a lot, to the point it's aggravating.

I'm not sure where, then, to draw the line. By limiting C&C on whether-or-not the person prefers their image to look a certain way, limits not only the CC offered but the OP's potential for receiving it. But I think I see your point

and even added that request to his post

....so what's the problem?

Also, I'm not sure why you feel you need to come to the rescue over two or three people commenting on the over-saturation of the image (intentional or not). I don't think that sort of "knee-jerk reaction" is encouraging other to leave CC...especially in this case when the OP specifically is requesting it. I'd further argue that your opinion that only narrowly-focused "genre" critique can only be directed at the same "genre" isn't doing anyone any favors either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back