"coup d'état..."

Personally I really enjoy this type of photograph. I’ll take an abstract over a literal photo any day!

Well said. Although I feel critique is fine for actual "photographic errors" I don't think there should be critique on a persons personal preference and I see that a lot, to the point it's aggravating.

I'm not sure where, then, to draw the line. By limiting C&C on whether-or-not the person prefers their image to look a certain way, limits not only the CC offered but the OP's potential for receiving it. But I think I see your point

To be more specific so that it's understood I just mean that, say if a person composes a picture to their liking I'm sure that others will like the way they composed it as well. Maybe not all but some. In that case I don't think it's necessary for someone to come along and tell them they should've composed it differently, to their liking, because who's to say that their composure is any better (it's subjective) and it's most likely that the other person has already thought of what they'e suggesting if they were testing different composure's to begin with. Maybe that person means well and thinks they're helping the other but if the other person disagrees, isn't taking their advice and they keep receiving critique with every pic they put out on how to compose it just becomes an aggravation to the other person after awhile. Bottom line, if someone does something that's not a mistake but rather different than you or I would do it I think it's ok to suggest how to compose better but not to harp on it with every picture they post. Like with an answering machine, it only takes one message to get the point across, they don't need to call and leave the same message a dozen times to make the same point. Those are my feelings on it but everyone has their own experiences and will feel differently about this matter.

Last edited:
Whether the intent of the OP or not, I believe, this falls under "Abstract Realism In Landscape", a movement that gained ground after the invention of the camera, as artists experimented with depicting feelings and concepts in their works. The choice of compositional angles and the editing process creates a new image or piece of art out of a real life image, "abstracting reality". One feature prominent throughout the movement is the use of bold, bright, and sometimes highly saturated colors. Google it and you'll find all sorts of examples and information, its actually an interesting concept.

It's not surprising that this type of work might not appeal to the more purist photographer, as there's a tendency to be a knee jerk reaction to overstaturation, possibly because of the combination of bright, bold, colors. In contrast, I've noticed that seldom are soft dreamy flower photos criticized for their lack of focus. Doesn't make any opinion right or wrong it just shows that differences will always exist between the viewer and the artist where creativity is concerned.

I appreciate the image for what it is and applaud the OP for stepping outside the box to create something different, not just another boring flower shot.

You can please some of the people some of the time but.................................................................................:D

I like the composition of this quite a bit.
I get an almost blood dripping down feeling, which combined with the OPs title of 'coup d'état' has that feeling reinforced.

There is some blue in the deep shadows at the left one-third which for balance I would have liked the artist (photographer) to have painted in a bit near the right side of the image. Not much, but just a little for some dynamic balance.
And for some of that darkening at the left one-third to have been echoed at the right side.

Those greens at the lower right side are so bright that they are cheery, and may contradict that coup d'état feeling for which the artist was striving. That brightness also draws the eye excessively, diminishing the effect that I think the artist was trying to achieve. I'd constructively suggest that they be darkened somewhat. Darkening would also provide more luminosity contrast to the bright reds.

I'm going to assume that the out of gamut reds and yellows are an artistic choice of the artist and not just over enthusiastic saturation. I'm also assuming that this style of presentation is not meant to be a representative style of image making. That's why I was suggesting that the artist paint in color and perform some darkening.

How surreal!

@Amocholes Thank you

Great job

@smoke665 Thank you very much foe your kind words....and while I wasn't aware of Abstract Realism in Landscape, I appreciate your words of encouragement.

Oversaturation in the reds I think. I am not a big fan.

@Derrel The over saturation was done on purpose it was not a mistake.

Great image.

A half and half photo/painted feel. I would have it on my wall.

@zombiesniper Thanks Man!

I like the composition of this quite a bit.
I get an almost blood dripping down feeling, which combined with the OPs title of 'coup d'état' has that feeling reinforced.

There is some blue in the deep shadows at the left one-third which for balance I would have liked the artist (photographer) to have painted in a bit near the right side of the image. Not much, but just a little for some dynamic balance.
And for some of that darkening at the left one-third to have been echoed at the right side.

Those greens at the lower right side are so bright that they are cheery, and may contradict that coup d'état feeling for which the artist was striving. That brightness also draws the eye excessively, diminishing the effect that I think the artist was trying to achieve. I'd constructively suggest that they be darkened somewhat. Darkening would also provide more luminosity contrast to the bright reds.

I'm going to assume that the out of gamut reds and yellows are an artistic choice of the artist and not just over enthusiastic saturation. I'm also assuming that this style of presentation is not meant to be a representative style of image making. That's why I was suggesting that the artist paint in color and perform some darkening.

@johngpt You get it....I agree about the green being a little to cheerful but thank you so much for understanding what I was trying to achieve....

Thank you all for your inputs/comments....stay safe!!!

Cheers,

Enezdez

Most reactions

New Topics

Back