Couple of more mild HDRs

phiya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My pics weren't really getting any action in other sections, I'm new and have quickly realized if you want some action, you gotta post your photos here. :lol:

I really would like to get a shutter release for these, but these are my first two attempts at HDR.

Taken on one of the walking overpasses on the strip last month. One thing that made this shot tough is those overpasses shake.... a lot.

4932903726_2bfdb4aa83_b.jpg

This was a tree with rope swing over the Owens River in Bishop Ca, taken earlier this month.

5016417175_ee19b7f683_b.jpg
]

C&C is encouraged. I can take it. :sexywink:

They're good, especially for your first go at it! There is a bit of haloing around the tree line on the 2nd, which is a common problem... The focus looks just a tiny bit off. I like these though, keep it up!

The hard part with HDR is not overdoing it. But you seem to have good control over that. I like the one of the Vegas strip. Like mentioned, there's some small issues with the tree that make it less appealing. But overall, they're both nice.

Keep at it. I think HDR has great potential if used as you are using it. :thumbup:

Any suggestions on how to deal with the haloing? I know it's a common HDR issue, but can it be combated when taking the shot or possibly with some better masking using PS?

how are you editing the HDRs? If its with software doing the merging for you I'm not as sure about dealing with haloes; but if you are merging the exposures yourself (say using layers and layermasks) then it should be a simple case of not overmasking one area over the other to get the halo

You might also find that if you keep a base layer with the middle exposure and then use a layer mask on a software based merging that you can dull the effect of the halo by showing through the base layer underneath a little.

Regardless I think that layermasks is going to be a key part of this process and if not then its certainly a tool worth learning about and using.

Also if you don't have remote release have read of your manual and use the custom function "mirror lockup" combined with the timer mode. That way the mirror slap and the pressing of the shutter button should not affect your shots and since you are taking shots that don't require instant taking as soon as you press the shutter button you should be fine with the 2 seconds or so of the timer mode.

I used Photomatix to generate an HDR, but then took it and 2 of the 3 original shots into PS to use masking to improve some areas. The original haloing was much worse than what you see in the shot posted. I just find it hard to completely get rid of the haloing without destroying the trees along the edges.

I do have an IR remote release, and guess I could use the timer and then remote to release the shutter without touching the camera. I just have always been too lazy (or in a hurry) to set it up that way.

Nice shots phiya, vegas looks really....real :thumbup:

Although there is some issue with haloing on the right, you dont really notice it too much because your eye is drawn to other things in the frame. Once corrected I think youve got a really nice shot. A mild touch of surreal that compliments the scene I think.

if you do hdr in photoshop there is a box to check to correct for ghosting.. that sometimes avoids the haloing problem.. i'm gonna predict that will be the new feature these software companies will figure out how to correct because it is a big problem

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com

nik is coming out with a program that can element movement. think moving cars and running water. it is amazing for sure.

it is called HDR EFEX Pro and is to be released in Oct. sometime. My dealer along with Nik came and gave a live demo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back