Couple of SLR questions

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First Question: I was wondering if the viewfinder of SLRs displays changes from settings made on the camera. I'm not talking about displaying shutter speed or aperture in the view finder, I mean can you tell visually if a picture will be overexposed, underexposed or things such as that before you take the shot. I'm just asking because my p&s now doesn't do that. You need to look at the screen to see if your shot will be under/overexposed.

Second question: Using a Canon battery grip, can you have a lithium battery and also AA batteries to double the battery time or does it have to be 2 lithiums or 6 (I think) AA batteries. Wanted to know whether I would need to buy an extra battery or not if I dont need to right now. I'd like to save the money for a good CF card.

Thanks!

Also, to add to the battery grip question... from what I've seen, when you have a battery grip with a long lens, the camera will tip forward while putting pressure on the lens. Is there something to use to keep that lens up off a table or whatever or does it not matter? I would think it wouldn't be good for the lens or the camera...

DSLR's will have an indicator concerning the exposure value.
If you are in manual (or some sort of over-ride) exposure, then the indicator will display if you are under or over exposure.

Some newer DSLR's will also have a histogram that will show a live exposure latitude of the entire scene.

Actually I think I found the answer to my battery question. I found a vid online that shows a compartment that holds 6 AAs which slides in to the grip. I got some rechargeables I can use for backup if I need it.

To answer your other question, no you will not see the overexposure in the viewfinder "picture". The meter in the viewfinder will show you, but the actual image you see in the viewfinder will not show over/under exposed. For example if you take a picture that comes out completely white, your viewfinder will not show completely white...it will look "normal" as you see it now.....however your meter inside the viewfinder will be pegged to the right/left indicating the extreme overexposure.

To answer your other question, no you will not see the overexposure in the viewfinder "picture". The meter in the viewfinder will show you, but the actual image you see in the viewfinder will not show over/under exposed. For example if you take a picture that comes out completely white, your viewfinder will not show completely white...it will look "normal" as you see it now.....however your meter inside the viewfinder will be pegged to the right/left indicating the extreme overexposure.
Thanks! That answered it perfectly!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back