Couple questions....

Mazpro502

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I am now in the market for my second DSLR... I used to have a Nikon D40.. Loved it, great first DSLR. I sold it and am looking into a new one. I think I want to go Canon. I really like the T2i. I dont care too much about video and the flip out screen so the T3i is out as far the the flippy screen. Here is what I have narrowed my cart(so to speak) down to

Canon T2i with 18-135 is kit lens.
Canon 50mm 1.8 lens
Rokinon 8mm fish eye(just for fun effects)

My main question is do I get which of these three lenses:

Canon 70-300mm IS
Canon 55-250mm IS
Canon 75-300mm

For info: I do a lot of car shows and sporting events. So i want some decent lenses... Not quite readyt for L glass yet.

Your help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Back when the D40 came out, Canon's entry-level cameras were a bit better than Nikon's.

Today, I think the reverse is true.

You should reconsider the articulating screen, especially for automotive. It really helps with those off-angle shots were you would otherwise be laying on the ground.

OMG! Yes. Heaven forbid you should actually get on the ground. ;)

I'm sure there will be times when getting on the ground will be less than desirable. :p It's not something I have to worry about with my handy dandy articulating screen. :D

I really like my articulating screen. I didn't care one way or the other when I bought the camera, but it's actually been really useful. On the ground yes, but also on the top of a high tripod, so you can see it from below, or shooting from the hip, looking down on top of the camera. I end up using it a lot more than I ever thought I would.

If you're getting an 18-135, maybe see first if you need a longer lens. I think it's worth saving up for a 70-200 f/4L, or Sigma 70-200 2.8, if you do end up wanting a telephoto.

So this is what I am looking at... Tell me if I am on the right track....

Canon T3i with 18-135 is kit lens.
Canon 50mm 1.8 lens

If I realize I need to longer zoom just save up for it... otheriwse I should be good with this?

So this is what I am looking at... Tell me if I am on the right track....

Canon T3i with 18-135 is kit lens.
Canon 50mm 1.8 lens

If I realize I need to longer zoom just save up for it... otheriwse I should be good with this?

I've heard those 18-135's are more for vacation when you don't want to pack a bunch of lenses. Everything else looks good though.

Personally, I don't even really use my kit lens anymore (18-55) since I got a 50.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back