Crescent Moonset over Zion

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
templefb.jpg

This image just goes to show that sometimes the best opportunities aren't planned. After a full day of hiking and exploring Zion, we went to dinner in Springdale, just outside the park. Once we left and were heading home, I spotted the Moon low on the horizon, complete with some beautiful earthshine (reflected light hitting the "dark side" of the moon). I quickly turned around and sped back to the park. The ranger at the entrance must have noticed my excitement, because he let me past quickly without finding my pass after I explained why I was back so quickly.

I'm lucky that I noticed and made it back in time, because the moon sets so quickly and I would have missed it over some distinct features of Zion, including the West Temple, Sundial, and the Alter of Sacrifice (such dramatic names....I love it!!) This 11 image panorama was taken probably 20 minutes after sunset. Easily one of my favorite photos of the trip

Nice!
Did you hike Angels Landing? I did and it was a huge feat for me and a thrill!

I did not. I wanted to, but most of the park was shuttle only and the hours they ran weren't really great for good light. I wanted to hike up for sunrise or sunset...looks like I'll have to go back during the off season :)

Ok, wait. You ARE allowed to do something (like a hike) without it being for photography and lighting.....just a thought

Ok, wait. You ARE allowed to do something (like a hike) without it being for photography and lighting.....just a thought

We did take the shuttle around and did some of the smaller hikes, but if I'm hiking up to Angels Landing or the Overlook, I'm doing it to shoot.

Most reactions

Back